This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fresh install, a few questions

I'm new to kubuntu (or better: I'm new to kde!), before posting I've tries searching but...I still have some problems

-fonts in general are not very nice ( when compared to ubuntu karmic (that I use) and mandriva kde 2010 (tested via live cd)), and in particular in Firefox a text is quite hard to read...moreover sometimes fonts are huge, some other times are too tiny! Fonts are particularly bad in gmail

-do you suggest enabling antialiasing? with which settings? should I force fonts dpi?

-could you suggest a few steps to change the default layout? it's not very nice IMHO..

-the kubuntu installation has modified my Grub2 and now the default system is kubuntu (and no longer ubuntu): how do I change the boot sequence with grub2? (no more menu.lst!)

-some 3D effects can not be enabled (ex looking glass, sharpen, ...). Any solution?

-stupid question: how do I change the default mouse arrow?? it's really ugly..

thanks!!

edit: after changing a setting a reboot was required

Re: fresh install, a few question

Originally posted by plutus
    -stupid question: how do I change the default mouse arrow?? it's really ugly..
    K -> System Settings -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Mouse -> Cursor Theme

Comment

Re: fresh install, a few question

thanks!

Comment

Re: fresh install, a few questions

I doubt there is a big difference in the set of fonds used in Ubuntu vs. Kubuntu.
        But as you are running both why not check out the system settings in both and change accordingly?

A lot of people prefer the familiar look of the MScorefonts, install ttf-mscorefonts from the multiverse repro's. Google will offer you many hints.

The font size in Firefox is a separate theme, you can edit it within Firefox but often it's enough to use the familiar CTRL+ (- or+ or scrollwheel) to get it right.

If you feel anti-aliasing is an option, try it out!
        I have mine set to 'System'.
        Depending on the screen size and resolution you could force a dpi, I have a 15.4" screen with 1680x1050 resolution and set it to 96dpi.

I don't know what part of the layout offends your taste but there are a zillion options in the system settings, notably the many theme's to chose from.

I still use the old grub but a carefull search string in Google will give you all the help needed. one example:
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106368.0
        It boils down to that you edit the file /etc/default/grub and then regenerate /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

Your issues with the disabled 3D options might have to do with lacking support on your hard/firmware, what is the spec of your video card?

Comment

Re: fresh install, a few questions

ok I solved almost all the problems! the point is that apparently a reboot is required at every setting change...in gnome I just needed to restart X

one further question: how can I use the mouse wheel in the shortcuts settings? For example, the Magnifier effect would be nice with the combination meta+mouse_scroll_wheel but apparently this last is quite ignored when configuring the key combination...

Comment

Working...
          X