This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plasma keeps crashing

I don't think it is a graphic card problem anymore.

My friend can help you, but he needs the following:

1) Next few times it crashes, please keep a record of what exactly were you doing when the crash occured (opening a folder in dolphin? Twiddling with a plasma widget? What widget? that sort)

2) The trace you posted looked more like the terminal output. When plasma crashes, I believe that a crash dialog should appear? There should be a crash trace in that dialog, can you post that one instead?
    HP ProBook 4310s - ATI Radeon Mobility 4330 - pae kernel<br /><br />http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/

Comment

The startup is fine now, no low-graphics mode anymore

1) It crashes directly after logging in.

2) Because Plasma already crashes after logging in, I get no crash dialog. That's why I started Plasma from the Terminal. I thought that maybe there is some information in the output why it crashes, that's why I posted the output
      Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

His reply was ..

"Hmmm, okay, let me confirm that I understand your problem.

1) Plasma crashes instantly and every time upon login to the system and neither restarts itself automatically nor bring up a KCrash dialog
        2) Only Plasma crashes - ie Kwin is running and you can alt-f2 to launch programs with Krunner and do window management - you just don't have any panels and widgets and have a blank/black desktop
        Please verify that the above is true If they are, what happens when you try to start Plasma again using Konsole? When you said you started Plasma from terminal, did you mean this (ie. within the same session you launch Konsole and type plasma-desktop)? Does Plasma instant-crash again when you start it this way?

If the answer is no (that means Plasma actually starts successfully the second time), then I'm baffled. If the answer is yes (that means Plasma never successfully starts anymore), then there are a few things we could try:

1) First thing that disturbs me is that you're running Qt 4.6 beta - KDE 4.3.* is built against Qt 4.5, so that might be an issue. Try moving back to the default Qt 4.5 from the official repos. No rush - when KDE 4.4 gets out, we'll automatically get Qt 4.6

2) If that doesn't cut it, I'd suggest trying a reinstall of KDE, maybe move back to 4.3.2 (that's the one in the official repos right?). See if that helps.

The terminal output didn't look like anything was amiss to me :S "
        HP ProBook 4310s - ATI Radeon Mobility 4330 - pae kernel<br /><br />http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/

Comment

You understand me right
          How do you suggest me to get back to Qt 4.5? Because I got 4.6 from the Kubuntu Experimental repo.
          Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

I am no apt command line expert.

I normally use Synaptic GUI to downgrade, mostly 1 by 1. I haven't tried batch downgrade before.

- See the list of the packages that you installed here.
            https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+...ntal/+packages
            - Go to Synaptic, select those packages, then Ctrl+E (or Menu - Package - Force Version), select the stable version
            - Then remove the experimental repo from sourcelist.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to try that
              I'm nog going to remove the repo, since I use other packages (like KOffice 2.1 RC) from that repo. I just enable the repo from time to time, but only select the updates that I want (so I leave the Qt-packages unselected).

Comment

It doesn't work.If I do Force version... on the Qt-packages, it wants to remove a lot of important stuff like K3B, Amarok, Kontact, Dolphin etc.

Comment

You have to note down the package list, then reinstall them after that.

For my part I don't see any way out might as well reinstall KDE at this rate. Cos we're not even guaranteed that downgrade will solve the problem.

Comment

So you mean that I basicly have to either remove the .kde folder or remove kubuntu-desktop and it's packages and the .kde-folder?

Comment

No, I mean when you are Force Version, it will ask you to remove stuff like K3B, Amarok, Kontact, Dolphin, kubuntu-desktop, etc. Note down those packages that the system is going to remove, I think you can copy and paste them. Then reinstall them after downgrade.

Anyway, back up your important documents first before trying anything.

Comment

Well, I still can't force the version of all the Qt-packages. It pops up that there are broken depencies when I try that with some Qt-packages. I also still get the message of Low-graphics mode. But when I choose for Console login, then log in and typing sudo /etc/init.d/kmd restart, it does start KDM and I can succesfully login onto UNR.

So I think I'm going to reinstall soon...

Comment

A little late, but for Google's sake,
                          had a problem with:
                          QGraphicsGridLayout::itemAt: invalid index 2
                          QGraphicsGridLayout::itemAt: invalid index 1

After learning that people dealt with it by removing their .kde folder, I fiddled about with it and isolated the problem to a line in the file
                          .kde/share/config/kdeglobals.

The problem was fixed for me when I deleted a "widgetStyle=qtcurve" line in the section "[General]" of the kdeglobals file.

Hope it helps if somebody encounters the same problem.

Comment

Working...
                          X