This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma keeps crashing

For about a week now, Plasma keeps crashing on 9.10 It suddenly crashed for about a week ago, and now it keeps crashing

I've already tried the trick of moving .plasmarc and .plasma-appletrc to my home folder, but Plasma still keeps crashing.

What to do about it? I don't want to reinstall...

Info:
    Kubuntu 9.10 32-bit
    KDE 4.3.3
    Qt 4.6 bèta from Kubuntu Experimental PPA
    Sony Vaio VGN-NW21MF
    4 GB RAM
    500 GB hard disk
    ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD with official propetiary driver installed
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600
    Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Re: Plasma keeps crashing

I had plasma crash a couple of times and Firefox would slow to a crawl and freeze occasionally. I am also running KDE 4.3.3 because I had thought the newer packages might fix things up, they didn't... I started looking in the proposed repos for possible answers. I ended up installing the updated xorg packages and a couple of the gtk packages. So far things seem to be all right.

The updated xorg packages got rid of a sluggish shut down problem I was having. Sometimes the system would take a long time to shut down and restart, it was rather random behaviour. The updated xorg packages have taken care of this issue. The updated gtk packages may have been the cure for the sluggish and freezing Firefox problem I was having but I can not be certain that this is what actually fixed it. My thinking on this was that Firefox is gtk based and, what the heck, it was worth trying. Firefox has not slowed down or froze since I updated the xorg and gtk packages so I think it is fixed.

I was selective with what I used fron the proposed repo because I am using Intel graphics and did not want to break the system if I could help it. Possibly the things I mentioned might apply to your situation. Plasma has not crashed since I applied the updates I mentioned and I hope the problem is resolved. The updared xorg packages might help you because you are using ATI graphics and that might be the underlying cause of the plasma crashes.

Comment

Thanks for the answer, I'm going to try that
      Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Your welcome! I hope that fixes up your problem. Let me know how it works.

Comment

Unfortanatly it didn't help Plasma still keeps crashing. Plus I get the error that Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode, while it isn't :S

Btw, this is the Plasma backtrace:

Code:
          vistausss@vistausss-laptop:~$ plasma-desktop
          QDBusObjectPath: invalid path ""      
          QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to QWidget "", which already has a layout
          Invalid D-BUS interface name 'org.kde.plasma-desktop.PlasmaApp' found while parsing introspection
          vistausss@vistausss-laptop:~$ QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (0), must be greater than 0  
          QGraphicsGridLayout::itemAt: invalid index 2                           
          QGraphicsGridLayout::itemAt: invalid index 1                           
          QPainter::begin: Cannot paint on a null pixmap                          
          QPainter::setPen: Painter not active                               
          QPainter::setFont: Painter not active                              
          QPainter::end: Painter not active, aborted                            
          And that

keeps repeating for about 2000 times after this.

Comment

It has to be something related to the ATI drivers. Sorry my idea did not help....

Comment

Maybe you can pastebin us your /var/log/Xorg.0.log or any error from ~/.xsession-errors
              HP ProBook 4310s - ATI Radeon Mobility 4330 - pae kernel<br /><br />http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/

Comment

Thanks for all the help so far

Here is the output of the two logs idyllic asked for:

Xorg.0.log: http://vistaus.pastebin.com/m334bb83
                .xsession-errors: http://vistaus.pastebin.com/m6b89881

Comment

- Xorg.0.log

Code:
                  (II) fglrx(0): ***Display: ConnectedDisplayTypes=0x00000002,disabled=0x00000000                                  
                  (II) fglrx(0): Connected Display1: LCD on internal LVDS [lvds]                                            
                  (II) fglrx(0): Display1: No EDID information from DDC.                                                
                  (EE) fglrx(0): Unknown EDID version 0
                  Try to reconfig your fglrx, try backup /etc/ati/amdpcsdb, remove it then reboot

- .xsession-errors
                  I saw Nautlius and gnome stuff spawning all over the place. Nautilus will spawn a desktop, thus I think plasma-desktop will recrash. Are using a gnome-session to get us a log?
                  HP ProBook 4310s - ATI Radeon Mobility 4330 - pae kernel<br /><br />http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/

Comment

Yes, I give you the log via a GNOME session.

How exactly do I reconfigure my fglrx?

Comment

1. Backup your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /etc/ati/amdpcsdb

2. Replace your /etc/X11/xorg.conf with this generic fglrx xorg

Code:
                      Section "Screen"
                          Identifier   "Default Screen"
                          DefaultDepth  24
                      EndSection

Section "Module"
                          Load  "glx"
                      EndSection

Section "Device"
                          Identifier   "Default Device"
                          Driver "fglrx"
                      EndSection
                      3. Remove your /etc/ati/amdpcsdb, the reboot and pray.

Comment

I tried that, I still get the error of low-graphics mode, but now I not even get past the error. So I'm writing this from my other computer which has openSUSE.

What can I do now?

Comment

Really sorry to hear that. Since you have the back-up, just restore them if you can access your kubuntu box again.

Also please pastebin your xorg.conf as well.

Also
                          Code:
                          Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-15-generic-pae root=UUID=4da54cf9-697a-483d-a6c8-a37eddcf97ac ro splash vga=789 quiet quiet splash
                          @_@ Can you try remove vga=789 quiet splash (1 of them each)

It is kind of late here now, I try to get back to you tomorrow morning.

Comment

Thans for the help so far, I'm going to restore it and remove vga=789 quiet splash from grub.cfg

Comment

This is my xorg.conf: http://vistaus.pastebin.com/m78801ebd

Comment

Working...
                              X