This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot Get Past Password

I added the following to my grub kernel (if that's the right word) in order to solve a sound problem.
    Now, when I try to access Karmic, I type in my password and things just keep going round and round. The splash screen start to load and then jumps back to my password. It can take anywhere between ten and thirty tries at the password before Karmic fully loads.
    Anyone know why and how I can solve this?
    Thanks for your time.

title Linux ENGLISH
    uuid 48c70fbf-379e-49ef-a60c-219b35fe753f
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=UUID=48c70fbf-379e-49ef-a60c-219b35fe753f ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
    quiet

Re: Cannot Get Past Password

Originally posted by SCBrazil

I added the following to my grub kernel (if that's the right word)
    No, that's not the right terminology.

Take a look at #10 in the FAQs in my signature.

My (legacy Grub) menu looks like this:

title Kubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-14 (sda1)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=UUID=b09c7fff-fbd3-4094-9fe5-de62e35e778f ro quiet splash

Comment

#10 from your FAQ:

Do NOT ever perform "sudo" or root operations, such as installing software or saving files, using your user's home directory ....
      That's not clear as to meaning or intent. I've ALWAYS done my "sudo" work from a Konsole that opened up in my home account and I've never experienced looping.

I HAVE created the ".ICEauthority" problem by opening a Konsole and doing "sudo su -" to do some work, which left me in my home account and modified the ownership and group of .ICEauthority to root, which blocked the login and threw me back out to the login dialog. I'd catch a Konsole by using Alt+Ctl+F2 and then "sudo su -" folllowed by "rm ,ICEauthority", then I'd close the Konsole and use Alt+Ctl+Backspace to recycle the xserver, which redisplayed the login screen.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I added the following to my grub kernel (if that's the right word) in order to solve a sound problem.
        Now, when I try to access Karmic, I type in my password and things just keep going round and round. The splash screen start to load and then jumps back to my password. It can take anywhere between ten and thirty tries at the password before Karmic fully loads.
        Anyone know why and how I can solve this?
        Thanks for your time.

title Linux ENGLISH
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=UUID=48c70fbf-379e-49ef-a60c-219b35fe753f ro quiet splash
        quiet
        just what happend SCBrazil ?

the last I herd that worked fine for ya??

all we realey did was take your existing entry and change the 31-14 from the old #'s

did you Keep the other boot lines?? try booing the old kernel agin and see if it dose.
        if you get the prob nomater what kernel you try to boot then what elce did you do after we got you booting your newest kernel?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I did not change any other part/lines of the sudo kernel. I just copied the text above in there.
          The old version boots ok. The new version does boot but it takes ten or more tries with my password to fully load.
          I put in my password, the screen with 5 (I think) KDE symbols starts to load, it gets to the thrid, the screen goes black instantly and then the password page loads again. This happens over and over.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek

That's not clear as to meaning or intent. I've ALWAYS done my "sudo" work from a Konsole that opened up in my home account and I've never experienced looping.
            I wrote that primarily for new users, for whom the nuances between "sudo command" and "becoming root" are not so well understood.

As the person who has locked himself out of his own folder about a zillion times (but no time lately), I can't say that I fully understand all the ways that I managed to do it. I'm sure your "sudo su" approach will do the trick. I also seem to recall installing downloaded .deb files can do it for you. I remember locking myself out about 4 times while installing a downloaded Skype tarball, before I figured out what was killing my login.

Bottom line, for newer users -- best not to play Super User while working at your home login, if you want to stay safe.

Comment

Vinny,
              I didn`t do anything else. Just added the `code` you posted. I know I said everything worked fine but I did have to enter my password about ten times before it loaded. At the time, I was so relieved to get my sound working, this seemed like a very minor glitch that I could live with.
              Now however, it is a pain in the *ss.

Comment

My `menu.lst` file now looks like this. The first `Linux English` being the code I added. The second is the old one which wouldn`t play sound.

## ## End Default Options ##
                title Linux ENGLISH
                quiet

title Linux ENGLISH
                kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic root=UUID=48c70fbf-379e-49ef-a60c-219b35fe753f ro quiet splash
                initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic
                quiet

title Linux PORTUGUES
                uuid 91f68273-da41-492f-9c56-a5b8ad964ff6
                kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic root=UUID=91f68273-da41-492f-9c56-a5b8ad964ff6 ro locale=pt_BR quiet splash
                initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic
                quiet

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
                # on /dev/sda1
                title Windows XP Professional ENGLISH
                rootnoverify (hd0,0)
                savedefault
                makeactive
                chainloader +1

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                  I've ALWAYS done my "sudo" work from a Konsole that opened up in my home account and I've never experienced looping.

I HAVE created the ".ICEauthority" problem by opening a Konsole and doing "sudo su -" to do some work, which left me in my home account
                  I find that doubtful. I do CLI actions a lot as root. Typing sudo su - puts you in /root:
                  paul@myotherbrain:~$ sudo su -
                  [sudo] password for paul:
                  root@myotherbrain:~# pwd
                  /root
                  root@myotherbrain:~#
                  Special notes on sudo and shells

None of the methods below are suggested or supported by the designers of Ubuntu.

Please do not suggest this to others unless you personally are available 24/7 to support the user if they have issues as a result of running a shell as root.

To start a root shell (i.e. a command window where you can run root commands), starting root's environment and login scripts, use:
                  sudo -i (similar to sudo su - , gives you roots environment configuration)
                  WARNING! DO NOT USE THE FOLLOWING UNLESS YOU WANT TO BORK YOUR SYSTEM!!

To start a root shell, but keep the current shell's (non-root users) environment, use:

sudo -s (similar to sudo su)
                  For a brief overview of some of the differences between su, su -, and sudo -{i,s} see : Ubuntu Forums Post with nice table .

For a detailed description of the differences see man su and man sudo
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

well let.s see if it's just your user.........

when you get to the login screen do ctrl>alt>F6 you should get a terminal login .......so go ahead and login........now make a new user for now well call it ...user ....

Code:
                    sudo adduser user
                    it will ask you for passwords and sutch then after it's done type exit and it will log you out then press ctrl>alt>F7 and you will be back at the login screen.

at this point you should be able to login as the new user but I would do a reboot eneyway .

then login as new user and see how it goes

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Vinny.
                      I am writingfrom XP.
                      I managed to setup a new user and get back to the user screen. The first time I typed the password I thought it was going to work as the KDE splash took around thirty secs to load its symbols. As it got to the big blue 'KDE' symbol at the end, my user screen popped up again. After that, everytime I tried my password, almost instantaneously, the screen went black and came back to the user screen.

Comment

well I'm runing out of ideas can you boot the old kernel and dose it do ok (exept for sound)

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

I could but I can't anymore. I used it okay about three times but now it does the same as the new one. I can access the jaunty version in Portuguese ok and of course, boot from a live cd but I couldn't save my menu.lst file from there.

Comment

I could but I can't anymore. I used it okay about three times but now it does the same as the new one. I can access the jaunty version in Portuguese ok and of course, boot from a live cd but I couldn't save my menu.lst file from there.
                            I would say that it's not the menu.lst that nead's saving.........but you can get your old one back from the other thred about the sound.............. you posted the hole thing over thare

if it was the menu.lst it wouldent work at all.

try booting the new kernel and get back in the text login ctrl>alt>F6 and log in and do the

Code:
                            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                            thing to be shure every thing is up to date........you never had ben in the new kernel untill we pointed grub to it.

and a

Code:
                            sudo dpkg --configure -a
                            for good masure.

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                              I find that doubtful. I do CLI actions a lot as root. Typing sudo su - puts you in /root:
                              paul@myotherbrain:~$ sudo su -
                              [sudo] password for paul:
                              root@myotherbrain:~# pwd
                              /root
                              root@myotherbrain:~#
                              You're absolutely right. It wasn't "sudo su -" that gave me root but kept me in my home account, but the last sudo command you mentioned. My recollection was flawed. And, at 68, that's not the only thing...
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                              X