X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cannot Get Past Password

Originally posted by GreyGeek
    My recollection was flawed. And, at 68, that's not the only thing...
    easy now let's not whip that libido to hard ...... ......... .........OK not that funney.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
      Originally posted by SCBrazil
      I could but I can't anymore. I used it okay about three times but now it does the same as the new one. I can access the jaunty version in Portuguese ok and of course, boot from a live cd but I couldn't save my menu.lst file from there.
      I would say that it's not the menu.lst that nead's saving.........but you can get your old one back from the other thred about the sound.............. you posted the hole thing over thare

if it was the menu.lst it wouldent work at all.

try booting the new kernel and get back in the text login ctrl>alt>F6 and log in and do the

Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      thing to be shure every thing is up to date........you never had ben in the new kernel untill we pointed grub to it.

and a

Code:
      sudo dpkg --configure -a
      for good masure.

VINNY
      That did not work Vinny. It installed 8 available updates but it didn't sort out my password problem.
      Any other ideas?
      Thanks for your help so far.

Comment

That did not work Vinny. It installed 8 available updates but it didn't sort out my password problem.
        Any other ideas?
        no Sr. I'm at a loss

but I'm not so shure it's a password prob or you'd never get in!!!

not that that's eney help.

it's sounding more like KDE having trouble loading.......did you half to load a grafic's driver when you installed ? some times a new kernel means a reinstall of a grafic's driver to ..but like I sead I'm out of Ideas for now......eneyone elce.........

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I've been using XP for a week now and am not happy about it. Just getting my password problem to the top of the list again.

Comment

It's not a password problem if KDE starts to load (even if it can't finish the job). The likely reason why the first log-in attempt with a new user took longer is that on the first log-in, the KDE environment needs to be set up for that user (which may take a while).

Have you checked that you're not running out of disk space in / (or /home if you have a separate partition for /home)

Comment

Working...
            X