X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[resolved] Dolphin Default View Setting

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I am running Karmic. The default view setting in Dolphin is "icons". If I open the "View Settings" dialogue, and select "Details" from the drop-down list, this setting is not retained when I close Dolphin.

Note: I have ensured that "remember view settings for each folder" is not selected, and "use default view settings" is selected (in the *other* view settings tab, in the Preferences dialogue - why are these settings found in separate locations? But I digress...).

Has anyone else noticed this? I've searched for a related bug report (Launchpad and KDE), but have found nothing. Is it something (PEBKAC) on my end, or should I submit a bugreport?

Re: Dolphin Default View Setting

This is how the Dolphin is working at here:

If i turn on: Dolphin > Settings > Configure Dolphin > General > Use common view properties for all folders.

Then the Dolphin is writing/reading the settings to/from ~/.kde/share/apps/dolphin/view_properties/global/.directory.

If i turn on: Dolphin > Settings > Configure Dolphin > General > Remember view properties for each folder.

Then the Dolphin will write/read the settings to/from the local .directory file. If the Dolphin can't write the local .directory file then the local .directory file is saved to the ~/.kde/share/apps/dolphin/view_properties/local/... Dolphin can't write the (.directory) setting file if it doesn't have write permission (root owned directories etc) or the saving is not physically possible (cd/dvd rom).

Here the Dolphin is remembering (reading) the settings ok.

Who is the owner of the global .directory file ?

Here it is the user (rog):
    Code:
    ls -l ~/.kde/share/apps/dolphin/view_properties/global/.directory
    -rw------- 1 rog rog 80 2009-11-10 21:49 /home/rog/.kde/share/apps/dolphin/view_properties/global/.directory

Earlier > Topic: Changing the Defaults: Dolphin
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
      This is how the Dolphin is working at here:

If i turn on: Dolphin > Settings > Configure Dolphin > General > Use common view properties for all folders.

Then the Dolphin is writing/reading the settings to/from ~/.kde/share/apps/dolphin/view_properties/global/.directory.

If i turn on: Dolphin > Settings > Configure Dolphin > General > Remember view properties for each folder.

Then the Dolphin will write/read the settings to/from the local .directory file. If the Dolphin can't write the local .directory file then the local .directory file is saved to the ~/.kde/share/apps/dolphin/view_properties/local/... Dolphin can't write the (.directory) setting file if it doesn't have write permission (root owned directories etc) or the saving is not physically possible (cd/dvd rom).

Here the Dolphin is remembering (reading) the settings ok.

Code:
      -rw------- 1 rog rog 80 2009-11-10 21:49 /home/rog/.kde/share/apps/dolphin/view_properties/global/.directory

Earlier > Topic: Changing the Defaults: Dolphin
      Note: if I select "Remember view properties for each folder", then Dolphin retains the per-folder settings.

What I am trying to do is have Dolphin use a common, detailed view for all folders.

Thus, I have selected "Use common view properties for all folders"

Then, under View -> Adjust View Properties -> Default View, I set the dropdown menu to "Details".

This combination should have Dolphin, by default, show all folders as "Details".

But it doesn't.

If I close and reopen Dolphin, the default view is reset to "Icons", and View -> Adjust View Properties -> Default View is reset to "Icons".

That's why I'm wondering if it's a bug.

I assume that I am, but I will verify when I get home and have access to the laptop.

Thanks for your reply!

Comment

[quote=Rog131 ]

Code:
        Well, that was the problem. for some reason, root owned .directory. I changed the ownership properties, and now my display settings are written properly!

Thanks for the help; I greatly appreciate it!

By the way, what might cause root to take ownership of dot-files in my /home directory? Shouldn't I own all of them?

Comment

Starting Dolphin (or Koqueror) from the command line using sudo instead of kdesu.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            Starting Dolphin (or Koqueror) from the command line using sudo instead of kdesu.
            Wow, learn something new every day. I have done that, actually (starting Dolphin from the CL using sudo rather than kdesu). I'd ask why, but it's probably more technical than I care to know.

Anyway, thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X