This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] No Pentax RAW preview

I'm trying to browse thumbnails of my RAW camera images. I've got UFRaw loaded, but neither the preview or Fspot are able to read them.

Anyone know of a good system that will compile thumbnails of RAW images in a directory please?

Re: No Pentax RAW preview

What application are you using to browse them? If Dolphin, you can change the view settings. By default, files of X size or larger are not displayed. That can be modified IIRC.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi Snowhog,

I'm trying anything and everything! If you know of something that'll work, please let me know and I'll use it, 'cause at the moment I've got nothing.

I'll fire up Dolphin right now and see what I can get.

Michelle.

Comment

Hi Snowhog,

I found the settings you mentioned; selected RAW and adjusted the file size to more than enough to handle my .PEF files, but it still doesn't want to know.

The odd thing is that Fspot doesn't want to show them either and I'm almost sure everything was working under 9.04 32 bit Ubuntu.

Any more ideas please?

Michelle.

Comment

Konqueror can't handle them either. It is as if the ability to read Pentax RAW files has been dropped from the whole system.

I must be missing a package.

Comment

Is there anyone I can report this to? I've looked on the Dolphin web site but can't find any forum/bug report/etc.

Comment

KDE thumbnails

Dolphin/Konqueror/ All KDE apps

A quote from the /usr/include/kio/thumbcreator.h:
              This is the baseclass for "thumbnail-plugins" in KDE. Using the class KIO::PreviewJob allows you to generate small images (thumbnails) for any kind of file, where a "ThumbCreator" is available. Have a look at kdebase/kioslave/thumbnail/ for existing ThumbCreators.
              No "ThumbCreator" -> no previews... Until someone creates a "ThumbCreator" for the Pentax RAW (for the KDE4).

Available thumbcreators from the trunk (develpment): http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdeb...ave/thumbnail/

Requests/Wishes > Topic: Suggestions for improving Kde

Earlier:
              > Topic: Display Previews
              > Topic: Dolphin RAW image thumbnails
              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks Rog131,

I tried some of the solutions but couldn't get them to work.

I'm a small time programmer in a few languages, but C isn't one of them, otherwise I'd get stuck in with a conversion myself. You know, I still don't know how the compiler system for c++ works ... I used to use make files, etc. in my 8086 assembler days, but ... that was so long ago ... *drifts in to memory lane*

I'll hop over to the suggestion link and see if someone can help. If I wasn't up to my behind in work, I'd roll up my sleeves. My own open source project has been neglected for a couple of months already due to time problems :-(

Comment

Have you tried Digikam? If that doesn't show them then I would suggest you post to their users mailing list. Their developers are very active there and will probably be able to tell you what the issue is and if it is possible to fix it.

Comment

Thanks Bailout; I'll try that when I get home from work tonight.

Comment

Thanks Bailout - this is exactly the tool that I need. Well, not exactly, but it is darn near as close at I think I'll ever get ... this allows me considerable control. Many thanks!

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] No Pentax RAW preview

Good to hear that it worked. Digikam is by far the best photo app on Linux. It also has some pretty good editing tools. Annoyingly its user support is still on a mailing list but it is very active. I keep meaning to suggest that they open a forum at kde forums.

Comment

Working...
                        X