This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I want all Codecs

I got video but no sound in Kaffeine, VLC, and MPlayer. I tried copying the requested DLLs from Windows XP into /usr/local/lib/win32/ but still no sound.

Code:
    $ mplayer HaloWars_ESRB_720p30_51_8Mbps.wmv
    MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.2.4 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
    CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.53GHz (Family: 15, Model: 4, Stepping: 9)
    CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
    Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
    mplayer: could not connect to socket
    mplayer: No such file or directory
    Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing HaloWars_ESRB_720p30_51_8Mbps.wmv.
    ASF file format detected.
    [asfheader] Audio stream found, -aid 1
    [asfheader] Video stream found, -vid 2
    VIDEO: [WMV3] 1280x720 24bpp 1000.000 fps 8000.0 kbps (976.6 kbyte/s)
    Clip info:
     name:
     author:
     copyright:
     comments:
    xscreensaver_disable: Could not find XScreenSaver window.
    ==========================================================================
    Opening video decoder: [dmo] DMO video codecs
    Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load: wmv9dmod.dll, /usr/lib/win32/wmv9dmod.dll, /usr/local/lib/win32/wmv9dmod.dll
    IMediaObject ERROR: 0x87ee7b9 could not open DMO DLL (0x0 : 0)
    Failed to create DMO filter
    ERROR: Could not open required DirectShow codec wmv9dmod.dll.
    You need to upgrade/install the binary codecs package.
    Go to [url]http://www.mplayerhq.hu/dload.html[/url]
    VDecoder init failed :(
    Opening video decoder: [dmo] DMO video codecs
    Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load: wmvdmod.dll, /usr/lib/win32/wmvdmod.dll, /usr/local/lib/win32/wmvdmod.dll
    Failed to create DMO filter
    ERROR: Could not open required DirectShow codec wmvdmod.dll.
    You need to upgrade/install the binary codecs package.
    Go to [url]http://www.mplayerhq.hu/dload.html[/url]
    VDecoder init failed :(
    Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
    [wmv3 @ 0x8873790]Extra data: 8 bits left, value: 0
    Selected video codec: [ffwmv3] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg M$ WMV3/WMV9)
    Forced audio codec: mad
    Opening audio decoder: [dmo] Win32/DMO decoders
    Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load: wma9dmod.dll, /usr/lib/win32/wma9dmod.dll, /usr/local/lib/win32/wma9dmod.dll
    ERROR: Could not open required DirectShow codec wma9dmod.dll.
    ADecoder preinit failed :(
    ADecoder init failed :(
    Opening audio decoder: [dmo] Win32/DMO decoders
    Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load: wmadmod.dll, /usr/lib/win32/wmadmod.dll, /usr/local/lib/win32/wmadmod.dll
    ERROR: Could not open required DirectShow codec wmadmod.dll.
    ADecoder preinit failed :(
    ADecoder init failed :(
    Cannot find codec for audio format 0x162.
    Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!
    Audio: no sound
    Starting playback...
    VDec: vo config request - 1280 x 720 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
    VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
    Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
    VO: [xv] 1280x720 => 1280x720 Planar YV12
    V: 12.6 139/139 51% 16% 0.0% 0 0
    Exiting... (Quit)
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I made it work!

I figured out how to make it work. Now I get perfect video and sound in MPlayer.

You need the binary codec package. Make sure you get the correct package for your system! As root, extract the codec package into the directory searched by MPlayer.

The commands below worked on my Kubuntu 8.04.3 Hardy Heron 32-bit system, but YMMV. You will have to adjust the commands appropriately depending on which package you downloaded. I can not possibly guarantee that you won't hose your software by trying this. Sometimes installing things manually (bypassing the package management system) can have unintended consequences.

Code:
      $ wget --continue '[url]ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/essential-20071007.tar.bz2'[/url]
      $ md5sum essential-20071007.tar.bz2
      $ tar -xjf essential-20071007.tar.bz2
      $ sudo mkdir /usr/local/lib/win32
      $ sudo mv essential-20071007/* /usr/local/lib/win32/
      Here is what each of the commands above does:
      • wget: Downloads the binary codec pack archive from the mplayerhq FTP server. If you are a nice person, use bittorrent instead.
      • md5sum: Generates the hash code of the downloaded file. Check it against the list at http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/MD5SUMS
      • tar: Extracts the codecs from the downloaded archive
      • sudo mkdir: As root, create the directory for the codecs. You will have to observe the output from MPlayer to find out where it is searching, similar to my post above
      • sudo mv: As root, move the extracted codecs into the directory you just made

Welcome newbies!
      Verify the ISO
      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

hear all my mplayer ver. play it fine (mplayer, Kmplayer, Gnome mplayer) all played it just fine.

VLC, dragon, and totem couldent VLC had pitchur but no sound.

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

so, after I downloaded the essential-amd64-20071007 package, I realized that Mplayer does not work at all it gives me this

"Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device."
          then
          "Cannot find codec for audio format 0x162."

how do I fix this? When I go into preferences I have too many options under 'Codecs & demuxer'
          Why wouldn't I want it to use all of them?

Edit:
          I was going through my packages because 20071007 sounded familiar. I have the w64codecs - 20071007 -0medibuntu2 (amd64) package installed. Would this contain the essential-amd64-20071007 package that I downloaded?
          &quot;Your doctrines are grandiose but useless, that is why no one accepts them.&quot; Hui Tzu<br />____________ __ __ __ __ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ <br />AMD Phenom II x4 940 Denab 3.708Ghz Black Edition<br />XFX NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 710MHz<br />G.SKILL 2x2GB DDR2<br />Kubuntu 9.10....&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; ....oh and w7 for games

Comment

Sorry but I don't know. I was able to play the video file you linked to by the procedure outlined in my last post. From what I see, the root of the problem is that the file uses a secret codec designed exclusively for Windows. If you must play such videos, then you may have to resort to Windows.

If you have Windows on your computer and dual boot with Kubuntu, then you are all set. Just reboot into Windows to play the video. This has the disadvantage that you must shut down Kubuntu and reboot your computer.

If you don't have Windows on your computer then you can create a virutal machine to run Windows. I use VirtualBox, but there is also VMware. This solution has the advantage that you don't need to reboot your computer, but the disadvantage that your computer must have hardware powerful enough to run more than one OS simultaneously. Performance inside a virtual machine is never quite as good as on physical hardware, but it can come close in some applications.

If it were me, I would look for some software to transcode the video on the Windows side. Once you have saved the video with a supported codec, then you don't have to bother with Windows any more.
            Welcome newbies!
            Verify the ISO
            Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

do you have mencoder as well?

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Mplayer video: I had to change the settings in mine to get it to work as well.. I selected xv for video and Alsa for audio, then the file played fine.

Transcoding on Windows: For transcoding and keeping it HD, I would recommend encoding with x264 in Handbrake using at least 2000kb/s video bitrate (4000 if you notice any real difference in quality and are worried about it), audio encoded with faac at 256kb/s or higher bitrate in stereo or dolby, and MP4 container. I would say to do this in Linux, but Handbrake is broken in Karmic until their 0.9.4 release unless you want to try your hand at compiling from the SVN.
                Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue...

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
                  do you have mencoder as well?

VINNY
                  Yes it is installed.
                  I found a log file in SMPlayer that said the file requests the wma9dmo codec. Does anyone know where can I get this, and how I would install it individually?

Originally posted by Telengard
                  I figured out how to make it work. Now I get perfect video and sound in MPlayer.

You need the binary codec package. Make sure you get the correct package for your system! As root, extract the codec package into the directory searched by MPlayer.

The commands below worked on my Kubuntu 8.04.3 Hardy Heron 32-bit system, but YMMV. You will have to adjust the commands appropriately depending on which package you downloaded. I can not possibly guarantee that you won't hose your software by trying this. Sometimes installing things manually (bypassing the package management system) can have unintended consequences.

Code:
                  $ wget --continue '[url]ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/essential-20071007.tar.bz2'[/url]
                  $ md5sum essential-20071007.tar.bz2
                  $ tar -xjf essential-20071007.tar.bz2
                  $ sudo mkdir /usr/local/lib/win32
                  $ sudo mv essential-20071007/* /usr/local/lib/win32/
                  So I did this except I used the amd 64 package and it didn't work for SMPlayer(I know you said MPlayer, but that doesn't work yet and SMPlayer uses MPlayer's codecs and such. Or so I thought)

Code:
                  kei@Obsidianprism:~$ wget --continue '[url]ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/essential-amd64-20071007.tar.bz2'[/url]

kei@Obsidianprism:~$ md5sum essential-amd64-20071007.tar.bz2
                  8e1ceeec51469f5baac65e56fac709e8 essential-amd64-20071007.tar.bz2
                  kei@Obsidianprism:~$ tar -xjf essential-amd64-20071007.tar.bz2
                  kei@Obsidianprism:~$ sudo mkdir /usr/local//lib/win32
                  kei@Obsidianprism:~$ sudo mv essential-amd64-20071007/* /usr/local/lib/win32/
                  EDIT:
                  here is what is in my new win32 directory:
                  cook.so drvc.so README sipr.so
                  Did I do something incorrectly?
                  &quot;Your doctrines are grandiose but useless, that is why no one accepts them.&quot; Hui Tzu<br />____________ __ __ __ __ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ <br />AMD Phenom II x4 940 Denab 3.708Ghz Black Edition<br />XFX NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 710MHz<br />G.SKILL 2x2GB DDR2<br />Kubuntu 9.10....&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; ....oh and w7 for games

Comment

Originally posted by digitalhead
                    Mplayer video: I had to change the settings in mine to get it to work as well.. I selected xv for video and Alsa for audio, then the file played fine.

Transcoding on Windows: For transcoding and keeping it HD, I would recommend encoding with x264 in Handbrake using at least 2000kb/s video bitrate (4000 if you notice any real difference in quality and are worried about it), audio encoded with faac at 256kb/s or higher bitrate in stereo or dolby, and MP4 container. I would say to do this in Linux, but Handbrake is broken in Karmic until their 0.9.4 release unless you want to try your hand at compiling from the SVN.
                    I don't have those options in my list. Is xv, xVid? Anyway, what prompted you to choose those, or what criteria did you use to decide. Since I am relatively uneducated in these matters, I could use a little conceptual training.

Also, thanks for the numbers on transcoding, these should come in handy. But I still want to make these wma9dmo requesting files to work on karmic.

Comment

Originally posted by Belac Ile
                      I don't have those options in my list. Is xv, xVid? Anyway, what prompted you to choose those, or what criteria did you use to decide. Since I am relatively uneducated in these matters, I could use a little conceptual training.

Also, thanks for the numbers on transcoding, these should come in handy. But I still want to make these wma9dmo requesting files to work on karmic.
                      The options are in the MPlayer Preferences. I'm not sure if they would be available in its derivatives like SMPlayer that you mentioned you were using. However, once you have it set in MPlayer, it will be set in other programs that use it.

xv is "X11 Video", meaning it uses X11 to render the video.

My transcoding tips were just from my own experience. I generally don't transcode to hi-def, but I have several times. x264 offers excellent quality at lower bitrates, meaning smaller file sizes, compared to other common encoders. Plus it was designed for HD. Using 2000Kb/s or higher on the video will maintain the HD quality. I have noticed that when transcoding from some HD video files, the quality can be thrown off, so a higher one would be needed to keep the exact quality. I have never needed to use more than 4000 with x264. More generally, I use 1000 when encoding full length movies because I think it provides a decent enough quality:size ratio. I am also a little obsessive compulsive, so that's why I use round numbers on mine. If you wanted true 2Mb/s, you would want to use 2048Kb/s.

Xvid is more commonly used though. However, if you plan to use Handbrake once it's finished, it no longer supports xvid.
                      Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue...

Comment

Belac Ile, SMPlayer is just a GUI that calls MPlayer to play the files. If MPlayer is improperly configured, then SMPlayer may not work right either.

The codec you mentioned from the log file was provided in the binary codecs download on my system. Your win32 directory does not look like mine at all. I don't know why. If MPlayer used to work before installing the binary codecs, but no longer works after installing the binary codecs, then maybe removing the win32 directory will fix the problem.

Or maybe not, because I am just guessing. It is too complicated for me to figure out because your Kubuntu system seems to be totally different than mine. I have not had MPlayer failing the way you say it does. I don't understand why the codecs work for me but not for you. I just don't know.

I suggested transcoding on Windows because apparently Windows already has the codec to decode the media completely. Apparently the restricted package for Kubuntu does not contain all such codecs. I was able to play the file after installing the extra binary codecs from the MPlayer site, but you were not. If you can't decode the media for playing then you definitely can't transcode it.
                        Welcome newbies!
                        Verify the ISO
                        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Since you seem to be running Karmic, I tried the video on my Karmic 32-bit VM. It went pretty much the same way as with Hardy. I was able to play the video just fine after installing the binary codecs from the MPlayer page.
                          Welcome newbies!
                          Verify the ISO
                          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Since you seem to be running Karmic, I tried the video on my Karmic 32-bit VM. It went pretty much the same way as with Hardy. I was able to play the video just fine after installing the binary codecs from the MPlayer page.
                            Oh, I am on a 64bit system. So I guess maybe the codec does not exist yet? But I still should be able to use the 32bit codecs right?

MPlayer has never worked both before and after installing the win32 dir. SMplayer, on the other hand, always has... with the excpetion of wma9dmo codec.

Originally posted by digitalhead
                            The options are in the MPlayer Preferences. I'm not sure if they would be available in its derivatives like SMPlayer that you mentioned you were using. However, once you have it set in MPlayer, it will be set in other programs that use it.

Xvid is more commonly used though. However, if you plan to use Handbrake once it's finished, it no longer supports xvid.
                            I was in MPlayer's prefs... I had Xvid as an option, but it didn't work. Anyway since SMPlayer uses Mplayer's coding and not its prefs, then it really is a non-issue, but thank you. (unless i am wrong in my assumption)

As far as the codec is concerned, I guess I need to try and get a 32bit codec to work on my system. Could anyone help with that? Or does anyone know of a 64bit version that perhaps does not exist in the repositories?

Comment

Originally posted by Belac Ile
                              . . .
                              But I still should be able to use the 32bit codecs right?
                              . . .
                              As far as the codec is concerned, I guess I need to try and get a 32bit codec to work on my system. Could anyone help with that?
                              That is a really good question. I won't even pretend to know the answer. Are you willing to experiment on your system with it?
                              Welcome newbies!
                              Verify the ISO
                              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

That is a really good question. I won't even pretend to know the answer. Are you willing to experiment on your system with it?
                                I would.. I don't think this sort of experimentation would ruin its functionality beyond 20min of repair work.

so I followed your directions from the earlier post. downloaded the essential-20071007 package, but I moved it to the directory that mplayer supposedly uses /usr/lib/codecs I made sure that it did not replace the codecs from the essential-amd64-20071007 that I also put in that folder.

Now the sound does not work yet but I think it is because MPlayer/SMPlayer does not know they are their... or the 64 bit version does not know how to use them.

Perhaps if I install the x86 version of SMPlayer?

Comment

Working...
                                X