This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paths

Yesterday I was playing with some things in System Settings. Under Personal > About Me the settings for 'Paths' reside. Since I had moved many of the default folders to my liking, I decided to change some of the paths for Music, Pictures and Movies. Why not?

After changing the paths to the new location I clicked OK. And an error came up. Something about not being able to write to directory blah blah blah. Oh well.

I closed System Settings and started a few other tasks... every program I tried to open would show up in the taskbar for a few seconds, then disappear. I had yakuake running, so I opened it and tried starting one of the programs to see about any errors.

Yup, no access to X server on screen :0

I have seen this before. There are two files in the home directory which provide security for X. .ICEauthority, .Xauthority. These prevent someone from hijacking your X session on a remote console. That's all I really know about them and that without them X will not run.

With yakuake still running I listed all of the contents of my home directory... I had three folders. All of my configuration files had been deleted/moved.

I ended up finding them while attempting to restore my system from a backup and/or save files for a reinstall. They had been moved to the directory I had chosen for my Movies path. I restored them and have been running well since.

What purpose does the path configuration serve? Why did the Movies path hijack my total profile?

Mike
    http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Re: Paths

Originally posted by monte48lowes
    What purpose does the path configuration serve? Why did the Movies path hijack my total profile?
    Open Konqueror and past this into the URL:
    Code:
    help:/kcontrol/paths/index.html
    That will tell you what the paths are for and do when changed.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks Snow. Unfortunately, the help file only covers the first three. There are four more in the actual module: Downloads, Music, Pictures and Movies.

It does say that changing the location will move the files to that location. Since none of them are labeled 'home' it doesn't make sense that the contents of my 'home' were moved. Almost like I got evicted.

hmm...did I remember to mail the mortgage payment?

Mike
      http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by monte48lowes
        . . . Almost like I got evicted.
        hmm...did I remember to mail the mortgage payment?
        This is Linux - there is no mortgage. I'd be very surprised if there was a "Linux Genuine Advantage".

Comment

Working...
        X