This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] PulseAudio/VirtualBox audio

Hi, I have an issue with my virtualBox audio.. well actually audio in general.

My pulse audio seems to not work "audio playback for PulseAudio does not work falling back to ALC998A Analog"
    anyway I did "sudo apt-get install pulseaudio" and installed what I presume is the necessary packages to make it work but the message still shows.

the only reason I felt this necessary is because I want my Virtualbox audio to function but W7 says that there is no audio device. I have already enabled audio and swiched through various settings in that regard, but the problem is persistent. I keep reading the I need PulseAudio, but I can't get it to work.

Now ever since I have installed PulseAudio audio breaks for the rest of my system when I boot W7 in VBox unless I am already playing something elsewhere--then it just gives an error message in VBox during boot that states that the PCM output device could not be opened. I assume this means that there is a conflict of interest as far as drivers is concerned... but I thought that pulseaudio was designed to get rid of that conflict...

...of course no matter what audio device does or does not start up first, there is no sound or decernable sound device for W7 in VBox.

Thanks for any help.
    &quot;Your doctrines are grandiose but useless, that is why no one accepts them.&quot; Hui Tzu<br />____________ __ __ __ __ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ <br />AMD Phenom II x4 940 Denab 3.708Ghz Black Edition<br />XFX NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 710MHz<br />G.SKILL 2x2GB DDR2<br />Kubuntu 9.10....&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; ....oh and w7 for games

Re: PulseAudio/VirtualBox audio

In the VirtualBox settings for the guest VM select the Audio category. Is the Enable Audio box check-marked?

You can also try choosing a different Host Audio Driver for the guest. Just select one from the drop down list as shown in the image attached to this post.

If you have problems with PulseAudio in other applications (e.g. Flash applets) then that will have to be worked on separately.
    Attached Files
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

yes, I have checked the box and selected all of the options: null, oss, ALSA, and PulseAudio. all to no avail..
      Once booted, it states that "no audio device is installed"
      &quot;Your doctrines are grandiose but useless, that is why no one accepts them.&quot; Hui Tzu<br />____________ __ __ __ __ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ <br />AMD Phenom II x4 940 Denab 3.708Ghz Black Edition<br />XFX NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 710MHz<br />G.SKILL 2x2GB DDR2<br />Kubuntu 9.10....&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; ....oh and w7 for games

Comment

• For the Host Audio Driver, please select Alsa
        • Run the guest VM and see if you get sound
        • Shut down the guest VM
        • Reply here with the results of the command shown below

Open a Konsole Window (K Menu -> System -> Terminal Program) and use the grep command shown below, but replace MyVM with the actual name of your guest VM.

Code:
        grep -i audio ~/.VirtualBox/Machines/"MyVM"/Logs/VBox.log
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Code:
          00:00:01.174 [/Devices/AudioSniffer/] (level 2)
          00:00:01.174 [/Devices/AudioSniffer/0/] (level 3)
          00:00:01.174 [/Devices/AudioSniffer/0/Config/] (level 4)
          00:00:01.174 [/Devices/AudioSniffer/0/LUN#0/] (level 4)
          00:00:01.174  Driver <string> = "MainAudioSniffer" (cch=17)
          00:00:01.174 [/Devices/AudioSniffer/0/LUN#0/Config/] (level 5)
          00:00:01.174  Driver <string> = "AUDIO" (cch=6)
          00:00:01.174  AudioDriver <string> = "alsa" (cch=5)
          00:00:01.480 Audio: Trying driver 'alsa'.
          00:00:01.480 Audio: set_record_source ars=0 als=0 (not implemented)
          00:01:02.706 00007f59c103a5e0 00000000 00000000 00000000 Virt 000000061132032292 000000061141088404 2-ACTIVE         Audio timer
          Here it is.. no audio. should I do this for the others?

Comment

Originally posted by Belac Ile
            Here it is.. no audio. should I do this for the others?
            Not necessary. I just wanted to see what it looked like when sound was not working. I don't see anything unusual compared to my own log file.

Are there any other programs that don't make sound but should?
            Welcome newbies!
            Verify the ISO
            Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

not currently, but the last time I started up W7 before Amarok, sounds didn't work in Amarok... of course sound still didn't function in VBox either.
              edit: I installed pavucontrol and padevchooser and the sound seems to work everywhere except VBox now..

Comment

In the audio settings for the guest VM, which audio controller have you chosen?

For example, my VBox lists ICH AC97 and Sound Blaster 16. I have chosen ICH A97.
                Welcome newbies!
                Verify the ISO
                Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I have gone through every option possible.. on both SB16 and ICHAC97 for OSS VBox knows that the sound will not work and gives me an error. for all other options Null through PulseAudio it boots without error except the end result of no sound is the same. I leave the settings on PulseAudio/ICH AC97 as my default.

EDIT:
                  Sound works... I had to dowlnload the realtek driver from their website and manually install it.
                  http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false

Thanks for the help

Comment

Sound works... I had to dowlnload the realtek driver from their website and manually install it.
                    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false

Thanks for the help
                    Or non-help. I simply didn't consider that Windows 7 would require a driver for the emulated sound chip. Weird. Did you have the additions installed?
                    Welcome newbies!
                    Verify the ISO
                    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Re: [Solved] PulseAudio/VirtualBox audio

Originally posted by Telengard
                      Or non-help. I simply didn't consider that Windows 7 would require a driver for the emulated sound chip. Weird. Did you have the additions installed?
                      yeah I installed them thinking it would solve my problem.. much like pulse audio. I even reinstalled them in safe mode because it was suggested by some tutorial somewhere..
                      I randomly stumbled on some forum post like a year and a half old the the guy was talking about installing realtek drivers on virtualbox.. then the light bulb turned on.
                      not sure why additions didn't install its own driver... or actually just VBox regular; since it did everything else to make it run in a basic state. I would say sound is pretty basic. haha.. now that all is said and done, my virtual video card only emulates up to a nvidia 5600 equivalent.. lower then almost all of my games... unless I can magically double or even triple the 128mb maximum my games wont play in any way that approaches normal.

Comment

Re: [Solved] PulseAudio/VirtualBox audio

my virtual video card only emulates up to a nvidia 5600 equivalent.. lower then almost all of my games... unless I can magically double or even triple the 128mb maximum my games wont play in any way that approaches normal.
                        That is true with any VM - you will never get the 3D accelleration you have from the actual graphics card in a VM because it's 'emulating' the physical device.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                        X