This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

windows 7 on Virtualbox

is there a difference between installing windows 7 on virtualbox as opposed to installing it on a separate partition?
    I do have a w7 partition but I would like to get rid of it by using Virtualbox, but I cant seem to install games(or at least fallout 3) it say "not a valid win32 program." It has been installed on the same W7 on my other part.

so i guess my question is:
    is there a certain setting I need to make virtual box work exactly the same as a separate partition would?

thanks for any help.
    &quot;Your doctrines are grandiose but useless, that is why no one accepts them.&quot; Hui Tzu<br />____________ __ __ __ __ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ <br />AMD Phenom II x4 940 Denab 3.708Ghz Black Edition<br />XFX NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 710MHz<br />G.SKILL 2x2GB DDR2<br />Kubuntu 9.10....&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; ....oh and w7 for games

Re: windows 7 on Virtualbox

I don't know about Win7 because I haven't seen or run it.

BUT, in my experience, running XP as a guest under a VM is definitely not as good as running it from a boot up. In my situation I could not run apps which required 3D or accelerated video on XP running as a guest.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yes, I ran W7 in VMWare. It will run better as a native OS on it's own partition, especially as regards video.

Comment

thank you for your responses. I managed to install fallout 3, but I didn't do anything special. Windows decided to fix itself temporarily. but now it thinks that my original disk is a copied disk.. could this have something to do with virtualization?
        &quot;Your doctrines are grandiose but useless, that is why no one accepts them.&quot; Hui Tzu<br />____________ __ __ __ __ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ <br />AMD Phenom II x4 940 Denab 3.708Ghz Black Edition<br />XFX NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 710MHz<br />G.SKILL 2x2GB DDR2<br />Kubuntu 9.10....&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; ....oh and w7 for games

Comment

There is a difference of course, running the OS from a virtual box doesn't provide the full system capabilities regarding sound & graphics card as far as I know.

As for your copied disk issue problem, Microsoft requires a different license for running it under a virtual machine.
          Meaning you cannot have one key running once on the system & once inside a virtual machine (Microsoft license issue as I mentioned).

If you are running an OEM version (for example, Win7 that comes with Dell, HP, Asus, Sony, IBM), this version will check for the system BIOS to see if it got the signature of the vendor.
          So you cannot run a Windows copy that is intended for Dell on an IBM machine for example.

The same thing applies in virtual environment.
          You have to have a retail version I believe .. if am not mistaken in it's name. With a serial key that hasn't been used before as when you register your key, Microsoft keeps a record of your hardware associated with your key, so you cannot use it for another computer.

Comment

Originally posted by 0x00FE
            If you are running an OEM version (for example, Win7 that comes with Dell, HP, Asus, Sony, IBM), this version will check for the system BIOS to see if it got the signature of the vendor.
            So you cannot run a Windows copy that is intended for Dell on an IBM machine for example.
            it is w7 rc so the key and windows shouldn't be an issue since you can install legal beta and rc releases on as many computers as you would like(unless of course I misread something) it seems to be working fine as far as itself is concerned.

anyway I was reading up on the fallout 3 disk itself and apparently it has to do with securedisk. anyway that seemed to have fixed itself also.. I installed guest additions then 3 restarts later problem solved(I Hate Windows)

But I do have a different problem. I have no audio. Not with ALSA, OSS(not sure what this is), or Pulse audio(never worked on my install to begin with)
            When I go into my system settings(in host) I find the analog output device HDA ATI SB (ALC889A Analog). This is my only working device, but i don't have the option in Virtualbox to use it(uness ALSA is it, but I don't know)

Comment

I wanted to try Win 7 myself upon recommendation from many friends .. told them I'm happy with Win XP for gaming (gaming ONLY).

But they thought I should try Win7.

I took an RC with serial from cousin, but it notified me that I might be a victim of piracy & showed me 30 days activation notification.

Not sure if the trial period has expired or what exactly since Win7 has been officially released now, I'm not following Microsoft's news.

As for "I Hate Windows" surprisingly just today I got a guy on my contacts list having his pm "I love Windows!" & was discussing that with him.

As for you're sound issue, I'm not expert with that, but in general using VM or VB you should enable sound for the machine manually, like configuring the CD, hard drive, you should also allow/disallow networking & sound.

If that is enabled I got no future suggestions for sorry.

Comment

Oh well thanks anyway.. yeah turns out I have 2 keys for w7 rc(had to download twice) and I hadn't activated it yet. the activation didn't fix anything that I noticed(not the audio)

have you had any issues with telling it to use multiple processors. I have a quad core and if I tell it to use 2,3, or 4 processors then it gets really slow(last time it was so slow it didn't even finish start up)

Comment

CNET's Tom Morris recommends SEVEN programs to install on Win7 in place of the usual MS suspects:

http://cnettv.cnet.com/seven-essenti...ml?tag=nl.e404

Very interesting 3 minute video. All of his recommendations are FOSS.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Well,
                    I installed Win7 (update version) over the top of a Vista VM. It didn't work well, so I deleted it. Then I tried to install it again in a new Vista VM, and it chokes on the product key. So I guess the $ I spent for the disk is down the toilet.
                    I almost forgot why I hated windows so much. I guess I should be thankful for the reminder.
                    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Version upgrades rarely work as well as fresh installs, even in Windows.

Comment

Working...
                      X