This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can't get DVD's to play with 9.10 Kubuntu

Something 'simple' is either missing or mis-configured on your system. If one has the required repositories activated - universe, multiverse, and medibuntu - then adds the medibuntu gpg key, updates the package cache and installs libdvdcss2, encrypted DVD playback should 'just work.'

Check that you have the package kubuntu-restricted-extras installed.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

OK, I think I finally made some progress.......

After struggling for a week and probably 10 rebuilds on 4 systems I think the problem is due to the SATA DVD drives I'm using.

In desperation I went to one of my systems with 8.04 Kubuntu that runs its DVDs just fine. I noticed that the drives are IDE rather than SATA. I swapped drives between systems and the problems followed the DL SATA DVD drives.

I did a google search and found many references to SATA DVDs not working. So this is my problem. I guess I know to avoid SATA DVDs now. Hopefully others will find these notes here.

Thanks for those who have helped my. These forums and the people that contribute are the greatest!

CPS22

Comment

so no joy for those of us with SATA DVD?

Comment

Working...
        X