Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Kubuntu (and Ubuntu in general)...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Kubuntu (and Ubuntu in general)...

So far I really enjoy it, but I do have a few problems...

1) iBus doesn't seem to work. I'm trying to use it to switch to Japanese, as I have done in Fedora, but nothing happens. (Yes, I did install the Japanese language files)

2) Firefox is having some issues with the default gmail view. The loading bar that you see before you get to your inbox almost completely loads, but not quite. Leaving say...2% of it unfilled, and on the status bar for Firefox it says "Done."

In short, it stops loading. Leaving me with no way into my inbox, but by switching to the HTML view.

Seems like a Javascript problem, but I don't know. How can it be fixed?

3) Sometimes when booting, after the black Kubuntu loading screen, the screen simply goes black, and stays that way. Instead of going to the Login screen, it does nothing.

4) Not all the time, but sometimes, when viewing a YouTube video, clicking on say, the progress bar does absolutely nothing. I can't click and hold it to move forward or backward, nor can I change the volume, or pause/start the video.

At least one time that this has happened, it went back to normal, but I was wondering if there's a way to prevent this altogether.

5) More of a question, but I was wondering how I can change the background image for the Login screen.

As I said, I'm enjoying it so far. Much faster, and far, far fewer problems than Fedora had with my computer.

Thanks in advance!

Re: New to Kubuntu (and Ubuntu in general)...

Welcome to KFN.

Before any truly 'helpful' advise can be expected, it will be helpful if you tell us about your system, to include the make/model of your video card.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Welcome to KFN.

Before any truly 'helpful' advise can be expected, it will be helpful if you tell us about your system, to include the make/model of your video card.
      Computer: Dell Dimension 2400
      Memory: 1.2GB RAM
      Size: 160GB (35GB reserved for Kubuntu)
      Video Card: Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV
      Sound: emu10k1 (Creative Sound Blaster Live)
      Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz

Is that everything you need?

Oh, two things I forgot...

Flash videos aren't producing any sound anymore. It was working up until a little while ago. Sound around the rest of the system is still working, for example, the startup and shutdown music/sound effects.

Also, occasionally, when I am watching a flash video, the entire system will freeze.

Comment

As to your issue with Japanese. Do you have Skim (SCIM for KDE) loaded?
        It's available for installation via your package manager or from the CLI using apt-get.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          As to your issue with Japanese. Do you have Skim (SCIM for KDE) loaded?
          It's available for installation via your package manager or from the CLI using apt-get.
          No...

Comment

Working...
          X