Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AutoMounting Early only... Drive icon before login?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AutoMounting Early only... Drive icon before login?

I have two portable HD's , camera, and a nokia phone.

If I leave the HD's plugged in during boot up... I get an HD icon from the logging in phase before the Login Window even comes up. When it is done I can log in and the drives will appear mounted. If I try to just plug them in when already logged into kubuntu nothing happens. Same with my camera, and my phone.

I am stumped.

Re: AutoMounting Early only... Drive icon before login?

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show...?content=91517

I think that is what you are looking for... I don't use it.

You could also get it from a well-known forum member's ppa...
    https://launchpad.net/~samrog131/+archive/ppa

Comment

Umm.. kubuntu by default has a device notifier.

The usual behavior is for it to pop up and let me know I plugged something in. But right now it does nothing.

The only time it shows a drive there is if I plug it in before i boot the computer up. Then it takes extra long to show the log in screen while displaying a HD icon. Then it lets me enter my login name and password. Then the drive shows up there and in dolphin.

Comment

Originally posted by wrender
        Umm.. kubuntu by default has a device notifier.

The usual behavior is for it to pop up and let me know I plugged something in. But right now it does nothing.

The only time it shows a drive there is if I plug it in before i boot the computer up. Then it takes extra long to show the log in screen while displaying a HD icon. Then it lets me enter my login name and password. Then the drive shows up there and in dolphin.

Please look at the kde-look link a bit closer... it is different from the default device notifier. Edit: That sentence sounds a heck of a lot ruder that I intended... sorry.

Edit: But yeah, I think I know what you are talking about... it used to pop-up when something was plugged in, even if it didn't auto-mount. I don't know why the behavior has changed.

Comment

lol.. np. The notifier is not the problem. The lack of mounting is!

Any ideas why USB drives don't auto mount when plugged in?

Comment

I guess that no one else has a problem plugging in a usb drive/camera/phone? Should I just re install kubuntu and hope it magicaly works?

ps. I had no problems with this in 9.04

Comment

I guess that no one else has a problem plugging in a usb drive/camera/phone? Should I just re install kubuntu and hope it magicaly works?

ps. I had no problems with this in 9.04
              Well, they never auto-mounted for me in the past... the notifier would pop up but I would still have to click to mount. I doubt a reinstall would help since I have the same experience... karmic is just plain not polished at all... hopefully their Project Timelord will help the next release.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11...a_frustration/

Comment

I guess the good news is im not the only one with the problem...lol

What do you do to mount your drives then?

Comment

I guess the good news is im not the only one with the problem...lol

What do you do to mount your drives then?
                  I still use the default notifier... i just bring it up and click on the drive when needed.

Comment

umm... I don't see anything when I plug a drive in. Not in dolphin or the notifier to click on and mount.

So... how do i get to a place where I can see it to mount the drive?

Comment

So how does someone use this modern OS when they can't mount usb drives? There has got to be a way....

Comment

Working...
                      X