Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to create mountpoints for reformatted external HDD's?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to create mountpoints for reformatted external HDD's?

So I reformatted 2 external HDDs this morning and am trying to create mountpoints for them by relabeling the drives and then getting my permissions from there.. but I think I am fogetting how to rename them?

I used this command
    Code:
    sudo -R username: /media/username
    To try and get them opened up but I get back an error saying the directory doesn't exist??

Re: Trying to create mountpoints for reformatted external HDD's?

If the external HD are owned by a user other than yourself, then you need to change the ownership of the contents of those HDs to yourself. See man chown (from a console) for details.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by cptrohn

am trying to create mountpoints for them by relabeling the drives
      No, that's not the way.

Mountpoints exist in your filesystem, either permanently (i.e. you used "mkdir" and made one) or temporarily (i.e. HAL made one at /media/disk for you when you plugged in the device). You're probably thinking of the "mount-by-label" method for mounting a partition in /etc/fstab, but you don't want to mount a plugged in device that way, unless it is permanent.

You need to make the permissions on the mount point -- you got that part right.

Alternatively, you can make the permissions on "folders" aka directories that you make on the external hard drive. That's probably the best approach for a USB-plugged drive, since you never know what its device ID is going to be the next time it gets plugged in.

So, in a given session after you plug in the drive, and supposing it is mounted to /media/disk, you can (a) give yourself permission to /media/disk with Snowhog's command, and then (b) make (as user) some useful folders on that hard drive that will be for your data / backup / storage whatever.

Code:
      sudo chown cptrohn /media/disk
      Code:
      mkdir /media/disk/MUSIC
      Code:
      sudo chown cptrohn /media/disk/MUSIC

Now, ever after, when you plug in the drive, you (cptrohn) should be able to use Dolphin or any other means to save and retrieve files out of your MUSIC folder on the drive, wherever it ends up mounted.

Comment

OK, thanks... I will start googling for a good tutorial on mkdir and chown now and get up to speed on this...

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
        X