This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio disabled in Totem after upgrade to 9.10

I upgraded my distro from 9.04 to 9.10, and now Totem's audio is disabled. I can play files in other players (vlc, mplayer) but I use Totem on occasion. It worked fine before the upgrade.

I am sure it's something simple, but I'm kind of tired of poking around looking for it.

Re: Audio disabled in Totem after upgrade to 9.10

totaley strang??............I came hear to agrey with you exept that my prob was that I would have sound for 1 play trying to play a second thing and no sound......close and reopen and you'ed get one more play............BUT of corse I test totem befor posting and it's fixed and working just fie agin......??

O well mabey do your update's and try it agin.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Re: Audio disabled in Totem after upgrade to 9.10 - SOLVED

OK, I finally figured it out.
      esound-0.2.41-5 (the esound daemon) wasn't installed. I installed it, and Totem now has sound.

I am not sure if it was un-installed as part of the upgrade, or why if it's required by Totem that it wasn't caught when I un-installed and re-installed Totem.

But it's fixed now.

Comment

update...
        Fixed in Totem... but sound gets messed up on occasion, depending on which app I am using. At one point it was kdenlive, which I posted here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...8381#msg208381

I have to go in and change the order of the audio output device in System Settings > Multimedia > Audio Output.

Apparently, that order is significant. I think have the magic combination that is now working.
        FYI, the order I found that worked is
        HDA Intel (Analog)
        PulseAudio
        HDA Intel (Digital)
        Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
        Esound (ESD)

I am not entirely pleased with the difficulties I've had with sound thus far.

Comment

*sigh*

Totem is now NOT working. It looks like it will start a clip, but only freezes on the first frame. It won't play anything now.

I suspect it's related to the sound system, but have no evidence of it yet. Quite annoying to say the least.

Comment

OK.. more things started going silent the more I tried to fix this... games, kdenlive... then I found this thread:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3108441.0

After following step 1, everthing is working with sound. *phew*
            Here is what I did:
            1. Upgrade Alsa. From the wiki:
            Install the "linux-backports-modules-alsa-karmic-generic" package (or "linux-backports-modules-alsa-karmic-server" for Ubuntu Server edition). For changes to take effect, you must reboot your system afterwards.

2. Reboot. If the problem is solved, just don't do anything else.

Comment

*sigh*
              Came down this morning, computer was still up from yesterday after everything was working, and sound isn't working for totem or web videos.

This is getting ridiculous.
              The only thing I could see in the syslog was:
              pulseaudio[2334]: alsa-sink.c: Error opening PCM device front:0: Device or resource busy

I've been using Linux since 1998... this is the worst experience I've had with sound ever.

Comment

OK... SOLVED, hopefully for good this time.

Here's how I fixed it - go into KpackageKit, search for "pulse" - REMOVE anything related to pulseaudio.

Everything is working like it should now. The only thing I didn't remove was libpulse0 because it would have removed a ton of other packages that I use.

Comment

Working...
                X