Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(SOLVED)Both firefox 3.5 and Konqueror VERy slow in 9.10?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(SOLVED)Both firefox 3.5 and Konqueror VERy slow in 9.10?

Both are running extremely slow for me in 9.10? I seem to remember there is something in about:config that might need to be switched off if folks are having this problem, but can't remember for the life of me what it is? Was it IPv6 or something along those lines? I have a very good internet connection that is usually VERY fast, but since I wiped and installed 9.10 it is crawling on both of my machines.... (and they were both much faster before... if it was just one I would assume it's a hardware problem, but since it is both of them I am not sure)

Also a Big thank you and thumbs up for the folks that made this release of Kubuntu the best one ever for me! I used to run gnome on the desktop and kubuntu on the laptop (because the powersave features are far superior to gnome) but on this release I couldn't even get Ubuntu 9.10 to run off the live CD correctly..... So I downloaded kubuntu just to see how it would work out... it installed and ran with no problems at all (well other than the slowish browsers I mentioned, but if I remember right turning off the IPv6 might be the simple answer to that one. So if there are any devolopers out there thanks for a very slick, very stable release!

Re: Both firefox 3.5 and Konqueror VERy slow in 9.10?

A solution might be possible in Firefox directly [I don't know how to do Konqueror], but there may also be a global workaround that might help.

To me, the problem seems to be something in the ipv6 part - which is new/different in 9.10.

To fix firefox, type

about:config

in the address bar, and then find and set

network.dns.disableIPv6: true

If synaptic or command line apt seem to be slow as well, then this may be a global problem - like mine is. My work around for this is here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106289.0

This adds an argument to the grub configuration file /etc/default/grub and then disables ipv6 at boot. This has helped firefox speed way up for me, but apt still lags a lot. Add ipv6.disable=1 to the shown line, and then run "update-grub" after to update the boot config.

I can boot into 9.04 with the exact same setup - no powerdown other than the reboot to select 9.04 - and the internet is just there. With 9.10, the internet waits a long, long time before connecting, so I still think there was a major change somewhere that I haven't been able to track down.

Comment

Re: Both firefox 3.5 and Konqueror VERy slow in 9.10?

Originally posted by suplero
      A solution might be possible in Firefox directly [I don't know how to do Konqueror], but there may also be a global workaround that might help.

To me, the problem seems to be something in the ipv6 part - which is new/different in 9.10.

To fix firefox, type

about:config

in the address bar, and then find and set

network.dns.disableIPv6: true

Thanks I will give these a try and see if they help!

If synaptic or command line apt seem to be slow as well, then this may be a global problem - like mine is. My work around for this is here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106289.0

This adds an argument to the grub configuration file /etc/default/grub and then disables ipv6 at boot. This has helped firefox speed way up for me, but apt still lags a lot. Add ipv6.disable=1 to the shown line, and then run "update-grub" after to update the boot config.

I can boot into 9.04 with the exact same setup - no powerdown other than the reboot to select 9.04 - and the internet is just there. With 9.10, the internet waits a long, long time before connecting, so I still think there was a major change somewhere that I haven't been able to track down.

Comment

Re: (SOLVED)Both firefox 3.5 and Konqueror VERy slow in 9.10?

Well that fixed firefox!!

How similar are firefox and Konqueror I wonder? If that could fix both of them I would be very happy!

Comment

Re: (SOLVED)Both firefox 3.5 and Konqueror VERy slow in 9.10?

OK, so just to clarify things on this IPV6 issue that I was having, (so I understand what the culprit was anyway)

I am using a different internet connection, with a fresh install of 9.10 on a laptop. Now on THIS connection both Konqueror and Firefox are lightening fast as they should be. So basically MY issue with IPV6 is that my router most likely has issues with it right? I am using Comcast high speed, but I am using a cheap Belkin wirelessG for my router I got off Ebay fairly cheap a few years ago.....

Hmmm.. So that would be my problem then wouldn't it? Maybe it's time to ask Santa for a new router for Christmas eh? LOL

Comment

Working...
          X