This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio Cd recognized but not played

Cool, with the new Koala, when i insert a Music CD, finally Amarok is an avalible option. Sad enough anyway even if the cd is recognized as an Audio Cd, both Amarok and Dolphin say that there are no file and 0 byte in it!
    And, yes, i inserted an original Audio CD :P
    So, the iconof the audio CD is very nice to look at, but the sound of silense is alittle boring after a while
    Any idea?
    Thanx

Re: Audio Cd recognized but not played

Originally posted by Tick
    Cool, with the new Koala, when i insert a Music CD, finally Amarok is an avalible option. Sad enough anyway even if the cd is recognized as an Audio Cd, both Amarok and Dolphin say that there are no file and 0 byte in it!
    And, yes, i inserted an original Audio CD :P
    So, the iconof the audio CD is very nice to look at, but the sound of silense is alittle boring after a while
    Any idea?
    Thanx
    I am having the same problem, Amarok 2..2.0 is supposed to be able to play audio CDs but I get zilch.

Comment

But can you at least open the CD with Dolphin? In my case Dolphin also recognize an Audio CD but says that can not read on it or taht is empty

Comment

Did you install the amarok codecs? It asked me if I wanted to download them.

Comment

But can you at least open the CD with Dolphin? In my case Dolphin also recognize an Audio CD but says that can not read on it or taht is empty
          This is a longstanding issue, Nautilus the Gnome file manager has no such problems. In fact it is about the only thing that allows you to play CDs now, apart from VLC, even Banshee and Exaile are not working properly now.

Comment

Originally posted by Happyfeet
            Did you install the amarok codecs? It asked me if I wanted to download them.
            Yes i did already

Comment

Update:
              VLC recognizes the disk and plays it. so i guess theproblem is not with my Cds or the hardwer, but rather with Kubuntu components.
              Still, i would like to find a solution that allows me to just insert a CD, have it recognized and opened/played. Any ideas?

Comment

Update:
                VLC recognizes the disk and plays it. so i guess theproblem is not with my Cds or the hardwer, but rather with Kubuntu components.
                Still, i would like to find a solution that allows me to just insert a CD, have it recognized and opened/played. Any ideas?
                Amarok, Exaile and Banshee all used to work now none of them works properly, I guess that's what is called progress.

Comment

Originally posted by tomp01
                  Update:
                  Amarok, Exaile and Banshee all used to work now none of them works properly, I guess that's what is called progress.
                  Banshee would only play the first track of any CD I tried but then used the import CD function and that works fine. Also tried reverting back to Amarok 1.4.10 but that won't even install now.

Comment

First, a comment about Banshee. It is an app build using MONO and GTK#, thus making it dependent on .NET technology.
                    Personally, I don't think making the Linux desktop dependent on a .NET clone is a wise idea, as I've stated in other threads.

About various media players:
                    Visit the Medibuntu site to see how to add multi-media capabilities to Kubuntu Karmic. From their repository you can also install a fully functional VLC, Skype and other packages that cannot be put into the regular repository because of licensing restrictions. (It's strange how Adobe won't let Kubuntu package flashplayer with Kubuntu, but doesn't mind individuals installing it themselves on their own computer.)
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                      First, a comment about Banshee. It is an app build using MONO and GTK#, thus making it dependent on .NET technology.
                      Personally, I don't think making the Linux desktop dependent on a .NET clone is a wise idea, as I've stated in other threads.

About various media players:
                      Visit the Medibuntu site to see how to add multi-media capabilities to Kubuntu Karmic. From their repository you can also install a fully functional VLC, Skype and other packages that cannot be put into the regular repository because of licensing restrictions. (It's strange how Adobe won't let Kubuntu package flashplayer with Kubuntu, but doesn't mind individuals installing it themselves on their own computer.)
                      This has nothing to do with Medibuntu otherwise how would I be able to play an audio CD using Nautilus or VLC. Amarok will not play CDs but curiously it finds the exported versions produced from Banshee and will play them. Has anybody managed to get Amarok 2.2.0 to play a CD directly from a drive?

Comment

What happens with your Amarok exactly, Tomp01? in my case After i insert the CD, Amarok is one of the 4 possible option, but if clik on it from the option windows, it does not even start. If then i start it manually from the application menu, then it says that the Audio CD is empty.
                        Dolphin, on the other hand, starts from the device option menu, but cannot read the CD (still recognized as Audio, anyway).

Comment

What happens with your Amarok exactly, Tomp01? in my case After i insert the CD, Amarok is one of the 4 possible option, but if clik on it from the option windows, it does not even start. If then i start it manually from the application menu, then it says that the Audio CD is empty.
                          Dolphin, on the other hand, starts from the device option menu, but cannot read the CD (still recognized as Audio, anyway).
                          "Play with amarok" doesn't start amarok for me either (I have to look into that), but if I start amarok manually I can play the CD just fine. "Play with Kaffeine" starts kaffeine and plays the CD.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                            "Play with amarok" doesn't start amarok for me either (I have to look into that), but if I start amarok manually I can play the CD just fine. "Play with Kaffeine" starts kaffeine and plays the CD.
                            Amarok not starting seems to be caused by:
                            /usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/amarok-play-audiocd.desktop
                            trying to start amarok with:
                            Exec=amarok --cdplay %u
                            However, there is no --cdplay option for starting amarok, so it errors out (and amarok won't start)

Won't explain why amarok wouldn't play CDs for you if started manually, though.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                              Just installed Kaffeine. Does not appear in automatic options, but still when i open it manually, it can not play the CD and tells me:

Cannot find input plugin for MRL [cdda:/]

Comment

Working...
                              X