This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to enable Chinese input for kubuntu 9.10

I am relatively a new comer to Linux, used ubuntu for a while and shift to Kubuntu and found it a lot better.
    I'm using Kubuntu 9.10, installed as a windows program.

In Ubuntu, things were rather easier (for installing Chinese input), but I'm having trouble for Kubuntu.
    I found some methods online but got lost after 3/4 of the process, things are proving too confusing for new comers.

How do I go about to enable Chinese input? (Simplified and Traditional) In a simple, easy to use, GUI fashion.

(if not, please do show me the complicated way as well..... as long as it gets me there. )

Re: how to enable Chinese input for kubuntu 9.10

try ibus, it works fine with KDE 4

Comment

Can you give more info? or how to do it?
      How to enable ibus's chinese input? and is ibus already installed with kubuntu 9.10?

Comment

Should be an available package for installation through the package manager of your liking. You can install it from the console if you want:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install ibus
        See Karmic iBus Chinese input is awesome but...
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I installed ibus-pinyin with all the dependencies, but I still can't enable Chinese input by ctrl+space.

Ibus is also saying this:

"IBus has been started! If you can not use IBus, please add below lines in $HOME/.bashrc, and relogin your desktop.
          export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
          export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
          export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus"

being a noob, I can't find .bashrc file at home folder. Nothing valuable from google, any help?

Comment

Open any editor from the K Menu. Then, File > Open and type .bashrc

'dotted' files are 'hidden' files. In this case, the .bashrc is in your /home/user directory. It's owned by you, so can be edited by you.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

hmm....... weird......
              this didn't work. I went to home folder and went to view>show hidden files, then added those extra lines to .bashrc but ibus still isn't starting properly.
              Now I restarted my computer and went to k menu>application>settings>ibus perferences, this message pops up
              "IBus daemon is not started. Do you want to start it now?" and after I said yes, then this message comes up again "IBus has been started! If you can not use IBus, please add below lines in $HOME/.bashrc, and relogin your desktop.
              export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
              export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
              export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus"

Any ideas on what's wrong here?

Comment

Working...
              X