This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtualbox in Karmic.

Just wanting to know if Virtualbox is running alright in Karmic. During development people were reporting kernel related problems. So, what's your experience?

Re: Virtualbox in Karmic.

It runs fine in Virtual Box. No compositing and cool effects (not supported yet by the VB driver) otherwise everything tested and working. I give my VM 2 gig and I can't tell I'm virtual when fullscreen. I'm also running Ubuntu Server 9.10 in VB without issues so I can try out their new cloud enterprise computing platform. The new Amazon platform is mighty intriguing and you can upload Ubuntu images straight to the cloud and be up and running in no time.
    linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

I've tried both the OSE and closed source editions of VirtualBox with Karmic and both have installed and run fine, with XP Professional as the guest OS. Select Pulse Audio as the host sound driver to enable sound.

I've shared my Home folder with XP and been able to open a docx file from it using Word 2007, albeit access is a bit slow.

The only thing I'm struggling with at the moment is getting my integrated webcam working, which is why I've switched from OSE to the closed source edition for USB support.

Comment

I get no sound from VirtualBox running on Karmic.

I'm running a new install of Karmic, with newly installed (non-free) version of VirtualBox from the virtualbox website. I'm using the same virtual disk images from before the upgrade. When I open the images, VirtualBox reports that no working sound driver could be found and that a null audio driver has been selected for use with the virtual system. The sound on the host system works fine, so I don't know why VirtualBox would be having trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by jsqrdgsf
          The sound on the host system works fine, so I don't know why VirtualBox would be having trouble.
          I doubt this is anything to do with VB and more likely a problem with sound on your host system, in my experience the sound set-up on Karmic is somewhat unpredictable. For what it's worth sound in VB works fine for me using the OSS driver.
          Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Working...
          X