This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WICD

I have always used Wicd in preference to KNetworkManager but found that it wouldn't work in the alpha release. Tried it again today and it still doesn't work, does anybody know why this is?

Re: WICD

System Settings -> Advanced -> Hardware... make sure the network backend is set at wicd first (use the arrow button to move it up the list).

I don't know if this matters, but it is worth a shot.

Comment

I have used wicd through all alpha releases and into Beta.
      Always worked and still is working.

Never had to change setup from the original.
      Without your settings there is no way of telling what could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by PJJ
        I have used wicd through all alpha releases and into Beta.
        Always worked and still is working.

Never had to change setup from the original.
        Without your settings there is no way of telling what could be wrong.

I have used wicd for years now and always found it to be reliable but I not been able to get it to work at all this time. I reinstalled KK several days ago and after applying all the available updates tried it again with the same result. So even after a fresh install I couldn't get it to work, surely with one week to go to the final release you would expect it to work. Anyway I went back to knetworkmanager which now seems to behave itself especially compared to how it used to be. I am surprised that nobody else has this problem.

Comment

I've run Knetworkmanager for a couple of weeks on the daily builds of Karmic which was the first build that did not cause great problems with WPA.
          But then I had to travel and realised I missed the no-nonsense interface of wicd so I reinstalled it.
          And indeed it's easier to use than Knetworkmanager.

Because WIFI problems are usually related to the available hardware here's the WIFI relevant output of:
          Code:
          sudo lspci -v
          02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61)
          Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 1101
          Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 30
          Memory at ff9fe000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
          Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3
          Capabilities: [d0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable+
          Capabilities: [e0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
          Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting <?>
          Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number b5-78-2f-ff-ff-3b-1f-00
          Kernel driver in use: iwlagn
          Kernel modules: iwlagn

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis

I've run Knetworkmanager for a couple of weeks on the daily builds of Karmic which was the first build that did not cause great problems with WPA.
            But then I had to travel and realised I missed the no-nonsense interface of wicd so I reinstalled it.
            And indeed it's easier to use than Knetworkmanager.

Because WIFI problems are usually related to the available hardware here's the WIFI relevant output of:
            Code:
            sudo lspci -v
            I have used Wicd since Hardy Heron without any problems using the exact same hardware, the problem is that it won't run at all in KK it just crashes. I also tried running in Ubuntu but the same thing happens.

Comment

So you want to check the logs to see what causes the crash.
              Starting wicd from the terminal will give you a quick answer.

A hint; to check whether everything is installed you need to have wicd, wicd-client, wicd-monitor and (probably) wpa_supplicant running.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
                So you want to check the logs to see what causes the crash.
                Starting wicd from the terminal will give you a quick answer.

A hint; to check whether everything is installed you need to have wicd, wicd-client, wicd-monitor and (probably) wpa_supplicant running.
                I did run it from the terminal but I can't remember the details. My purpose in posting was to find out if anybody else has had this problem but apparently not so far.

Comment

Do you have networkmanager installed? It seems to me that they both couldnt co-exist for some reason, ie when I would install wicd it would remove networkmanager...

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
                    Do you have networkmanager installed? It seems to me that they both couldnt co-exist for some reason, ie when I would install wicd it would remove networkmanager...
                    Yes, knetworkmanager was removed when I installed wicd.

Comment

In Karmic, plasma-widget-network-manager seems to be working better than wicd.
                      In Alpha 3 I tried nm, then wicd, in Alpha 6, I went back to nm and found it worked better, now Karmic is at RC and just about ready for the world.

Check you /etc/network/interfaces as it is probable that wicd has messed things up. If you are using a router with dhcp, then delete all of the lines added by wicd and put in place
                      Code:
                      auto lo
                      iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan0
                      iface wlan0 inet dhcp
                      Note: if you are using WPA2 then you will also need to add the extra lines

Code:
                      wpa2-ssid
                      wap2-psk
                      HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Wicd does not write to /etc/network/interfaces. Having the wlan0 interface in /etc/network/interfaces may cause wicd to fail. Having wlan0 in /etc/network/interfaces should also cause network-manager to ignore wlan0, so don't put it in interfaces if you want to run network-manager or wicd. Did you try kjjjjshab's sugestion? It is likely to be the answer.

Comment

@Mando Thanks for that. I noticed that wicd doesn't use /etc/network/interfaces in Jaunty and tried it in Karmic. After removing wicd and then going back to nm in Karmic, my box connected quickly to the router with wpa2 having the lines in /etc/network/interfaces, so I left them there.

I did notice when briefly trying wicd that /etc/network/interfaces wasn't being used.

Apologies for misleading anyone.
                          HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Working...
                          X