This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KUbuntu Karmic Minimize/Maximize Issue

Been testing Karmic for a while now and pretty much most of it works well. I just have one nagging issue. While using an application (Firefox mostly, but it occurs with any), should I then minimize a window all is well, but should I need to then maximize that same window there is like a 4 or 5 second delay, and then the screen appears. I have Desktop effects on and enabled and my video card is an ATI HD 3600.

In Jaunty there was a xorg-server-backfill file I could install and the problem went away, however in Karmic it tells me the file is already installed?

Any clues? need more info?

Many thanks in advance for anyone's help. Great distro, just a nagging issue.

Re: KUbuntu Karmic Minimize/Maximize Issue

I have kind of a generic "approach", rather than a specific "cure". The responsiveness of foreground user actions on the desktop has always been kind of a Linux complaint, for folks used to Windows (which screws the background tasks in order to serve the desktop, until it locks up the box).

So, here's your reference:

http://rudd-o.com/en/linux-and-free-...ow-to-fix-that

If your system is not using swap (like my 4GB of RAM does not), then the "swappiness" setting change may not make a noticeable difference. But I always add the vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50 line to my /etc/sysctl.conf file -- I think it speeds up the desktop, especially after it's been running for awhile.

Comment

Working...
    X