This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things to be "sudo apt-get install..." after installing Kubuntu 9.10

Hello, I'm so curious about what packages will you guys install after installing a clean Kubuntu 9.10 from live cd. I used to use Mac OS X, Ubuntu 9.04 and Windows, Kubuntu is a new thing to me. I did a lot of research on Kubuntu before installing it, but I still get lost. I hope you guys can help me and other novices, too. Thanks.

One more question, how can I get CJK worked on Kubuntu? It's simple in Ubuntu, I simply install the CJK languages, then SCIM shows up and works perfectly.

Re: Things to be "sudo apt-get install..." after installing Kubuntu 9.10

here is my install_log, hope it helps:

1. pimp my desktop

2. sudo apt-get install vim

3. uncomment al sources in /etc/apt/sources.list

4. sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    reboot (if it's asked)

5. sudo apt-get install yakuake firefox flashplugin-installer kcalc build-essential cmake subversion libboost-dev libboost-thread-dev kdegames choqok ssh synergy sysstat gimp gpc sun-java6-plugin openoffice.org-l10n-es wireshark aircrack-ng mplayer mplayer-fonts mencoder mozilla-mplayer ffmpeg libavcodec52 libavdevice52 libavfilter0 libavformat52 libavutil49 libpostproc51 libswscale0 libxine1-ffmpeg avifile-mjpeg-plugin libavbin0 numactl kolourpaint4 dhpc3-server samba p7zip nmap amora-server stellarium lm-sensors i2c-tools

6. amarok and k3b should download packages at first run

Comment

A novice like yourself in Kubuntu, I really don´t feel too comfortable about installing too much stuff, so basically, I have just:

1. Installed cairo dock
      2. Installed firefox / Opera / Chrome
      3. Installed VLC
      4. Installed gedit
      5. installed Gimp
      5. Upgrades via the upgrade manager

Aside from that, nothing else. It´s pretty functional, to the point that I barely use my XP installation, basically just for scanning stuff, since my scanner is not recognized in Kubuntu.

Cheers!

Frank.

Comment

I don't see where you are adding the Medibuntu repo and getting your non-free stuff -- maybe that's intentional, but for the FOSS non-idealogues who want flash, java, restricted codecs, and such, you will need to follow this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

Comment

In the past, when I used SuSE, Mandrake, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS and MEPIS I never used the command line to upgrade software. I always used Synaptic.

When I moved to Kubuntu I continued to use Synaptic, but because the command sequence to update the cache and the upgrade the installation were so simple (even I could under stand them ) I began using them more and more. Now, I use apt-get most of the time to do upgrades on my Kubuntu installations.

I still have problems using "sudo apt-get install someappname" because I rarely KNOW what the someappname for an application is, so I use Synaptic to install or remove specific applications. In Synaptic I can put a partial name OR partial description in the search box and do a search. Rarely does that fail to find the app I am looking for.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
            In the past, when I used SuSE, Mandrake, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS and MEPIS I never used the command line to upgrade software. I always used Synaptic.

When I moved to Kubuntu I continued to use Synaptic, but because the command sequence to update the cache and the upgrade the installation were so simple (even I could under stand them ) I began using them more and more. Now, I use apt-get most of the time to do upgrades on my Kubuntu installations.

I still have problems using "sudo apt-get install someappname" because I rarely KNOW what the someappname for an application is, so I use Synaptic to install or remove specific applications. In Synaptic I can put a partial name OR partial description in the search box and do a search. Rarely does that fail to find the app I am looking for.
            Let's teach the old Geek some new tricks, shall we? If you want to find a package to install without having to open up Synaptic, but don't know the package name try this:
            Code:
            apt-cache search "name or description here"
            This should yield your options for you to choose from. ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Death Kitten
              Let's teach the old Geek some new tricks, shall we? If you want to find a package to install without having to open up Synaptic, but don't know the package name try this:
              Code:
              apt-cache search "name or description here"
              This should yield your options for you to choose from. ^_^
              This old dog is always willing to learn new tricks:

jerry@SonyK910:~$ sudo apt-get search ia32
              [sudo] password for jerry:
              E: Invalid operation search
              jerry@SonyK910:~$ sudo apt-search ia32
              sudo: apt-search: command not found
              jerry@SonyK910:~$ sudo apt-get search "ia32"
              jerry@SonyK910:~$ sudo apt-get search
              jerry@SonyK910:~$
              So, I fired up my trusty Synaptic and searched for "apt-", looking for anything with "search" in it, but no luck. I downloaded apt-doc and will look at it later, but I did consult "man apt-get" and did not see a "search" option.

Now this old Geek is puzzled...
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

It's, as stated apt-cache search pattern, not apt-get as you tried.

Use also:
                Code:
                dpkg-query -l package-name-pattern
                dpkg-query actions
                See dpkg-query(1) for more information about the follow‐
                ing actions.

-l, --list package-name-pattern...
                List packages matching given pattern.
                -s, --status package-name...
                Report status of specified package.
                -L, --listfiles package-name...
                List files installed to your system from package-name.
                -S, --search filename-search-pattern...
                Search for a filename from installed packages.
                -p, --print-avail package-name...
                Display details about package-name, as found in
                /var/lib/dpkg/available.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

DK said apt-cache search, GG!

Comment

As GGs avatar tag line says, "He's proof that you are never too old to use Linux" but, I guess he needs to add, "but old enough to need glasses"

Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Okay, okay, you guys said new tricks not old.

Code:
                      aptitude search <whatever you want here. if it's in the package name it will be listed>
                      How about one more...

Code:
                      aptitude show <package name>
                      One of my favorites. Tells you package status, version, dependencies and a lot more from command line. I like to call aptitude command-line synaptic. It replaces the myriad of apt-* dpkg commands. Those offer some lower level functions but I never need them in daily use.
                      linux &amp;&amp; bash = &quot;the future&quot;

Comment

Re: Things to be &quot;sudo apt-get install...&quot; after installing Kubuntu 9.10

I leave the thread for a little bit to play with my goo and what do you do? You confuse the poor old geek!
                        [me=Death Kitten]quietly slips GreyGeek a pair of glasses as she tries to blame everything on dibl and Snowhog.[/me]

Comment

Re: Things to be &quot;sudo apt-get install...&quot; after installing Kubuntu 9.10

while Qqmike observes Death Kitten passing in the fast lane*
                          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Opps!

Did I ever tell you guys that Lasic eye surgery isn't permanent?

In my "defense" I did try "sudo apt-cache" but Kubuntu told me it couldn't find it.

So, I tried "sudo /usr/bin/apt-cache search "ia32" and it said the same thing. It was then that I got infected with a sudden case of stupid and things went down hill.

I used to have a high IQ, really I did.

Comment

You don't need sudo for apt-cache; it doesn't do anything, just searches.
                              I use synaptic for browsing packages, mostly because 'apt-cache search' tends to kick out pages and pages of stuff unrelated to what I want.
                              We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
                              X