This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Huge fonts in Kubuntu 9.10 make me unable to do anything

Edit: Bug reported to launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ce/+bug/461701
    Problem can be solved by opening system-settings through xterm session and in appearance>fonts changing "Force fonts DPI" to 96.

HUGE fonts make me unable to do anything in Kubuntu 9.10 on my Toshiba laptop.

Screenshots are attached. (screenshot 1 - desktop with live CD; screenshot 2 - what I see after clicking the K menu icon).

It happens with live CD, and also with a hard disk on which I previously installed Kubuntu using another Toshiba laptop (Satellite A135-S4527) and connected it to my laptop. It ran perfectly on that A135 laptop, and then I had to switch to that A100 laptop, so I switched hard-disks and now I have this problem.

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite A100-786.

I tried dpkg-reconfigure Ceausescu but it didn't help. I couldn't find any useful ideas in Google.

Any ideas?

I guess this should be submitted to launchpad as a bug, but I'm not sure how exactly to do that.

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: Huge fonts in Kubuntu 9.10 make me unable to do anything

This looks like an xserver problem, which is expected because you moved the hard drive to a different laptop, no?

Can you just boot in rescue mode and repair graphics?

Comment

Thank you lmilano.

With the live CD it is exactly the same problem.

Also, today I installed GNOME (apt-get install ubuntu-desktop) and switched to GDM instead of KDM, and everything works fine. So the problem is only in KDE.

I also remember that back then when I tried to install PC-BSD on my laptop I had a similar problem, so I guess it should be a bug with a KDE component...

Any ideas?

Comment

My pleasure! To be sure, now you use gdm and you log into a KDE session? It would have been nice to only install gdm and see if that was enough. Or is it e GNOME session?

I used to have an issue with the nvidia binary driver crashing kdm on logout. This has never been fixed, and for a few releases I lived with Kubuntu + GDM.

Another thing that can cause freak behavior is desktop effects.

It really looks like a bug to be reported, yes

Comment

I meant that I logged into a GNOME session. But that was a good idea. I used GDM to log into the KDE desktop, and part of the problem was solved - at least the taskbar, Kmenu, and desktop fonts were OK. But the application fonts are still huge, and there are some other problems - panel is narrow, and some other things don't look right.
          Thanks.
          Attached Files

Comment

Quite a freak show, what if you run in a terminal. from gnome. systemsettings ?

Can you check the font sizes ? Though, quite frankly, it looks as if the whole application was magnified. But I would play a bit with systemsettings and see if you spot anything fishy there.

Another thing to try perhaps is run things like konqueror from Gnome and see how the fonts look like.
            I'd seen it all!

Comment

What happens if you go into KMenu > System Settings > Appearance, and change the "General" font to something smaller, like DejaVu sans 8?

Comment

Are you sure it is a font problem? Could it not be screen size?

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
                  Are you sure it is a font problem? Could it not be screen size?
                  Yes, I think its something along those lines, this is why I suggested to run konqueror from gnome

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful tips!

So, I tried to run KDE apps like Konqueror and Kontact under GNOME - and they worked fine, no problems.

Then, I ran systemsettings through GNOME (and then also through xterm session), and went to Appearance > Fonts and changed the "Force fonts DPI" from disabled to 96dpi. Then I ran a KDE session and the huge fonts problem was solved! BUT, the panel in the bottom is still too narrow, I don't understand why. Screenshot attached. Any ideas?

Also, I'm not sure how to submit this bug - I guess I should submit it to launchpad, right? But I'm not sure in which package this problem is... any instructions on how to post it?

Some additional information about tests that I did:
                    I opened an xterm session, changed back the "Force Fonts DPI" to disabled, and tried to only run kwin. The huge fonts problem came back. I killed kwin and tried to only run plasma-dektop without a window manager. The problem was still there (including both the narrow panel and the huge fonts).
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by benkamin
                      Thanks for all the helpful tips!

So, I tried to run KDE apps like Konqueror and Kontact under GNOME - and they worked fine, no problems.

Then, I ran systemsettings through GNOME (and then also through xterm session), and went to Appearance > Fonts and changed the "Force fonts DPI" from disabled to 96dpi. Then I ran a KDE session and the huge fonts problem was solved! BUT, the panel in the bottom is still too narrow, I don't understand why. Screenshot attached. Any ideas?

Also, I'm not sure how to submit this bug - I guess I should submit it to launchpad, right? But I'm not sure in which package this problem is... any instructions on how to post it?

Some additional information about tests that I did:
                      I opened an xterm session, changed back the "Force Fonts DPI" to disabled, and tried to only run kwin. The huge fonts problem came back. I killed kwin and tried to only run plasma-dektop without a window manager. The problem was still there (including both the narrow panel and the huge fonts).
                      You are done my friend, just force the DPI. As for the panel, click on this weird icon on the extreme right to access the panel options, go to the advanced options, and select the option to maximize the panel, that's it.

It would be great if you could file a bug report in Launchpad.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Now the panel problem is solved as well.

Now I would like to file this bug in launchpad, can you please help me figure out which package it should be filed against?

Comment

Hi Benkamin,

I think the best place to file it is
                          kde-window-manager

I think the description should be something like "KDE does not set the DPI automatically to a valid value". This is the core of the problem, this seems fine in GNOME, and setting it manually solves the issue.

Thank you for reporting this to help others!

Comment

Thanks! I will do that.
                            Just a thought: Since the problem existed even when I ran the plasma-desktop without the kde window manager, do you still think it is a window manager issue?
                            Thanks.

Comment

Mmmm, I think you are confusing the login manager (KDM) with the window manager (KWin). Plasma, as far as I can tell, runs on top of KWin. In the worst case scenario, someone will go ahead and redirect you to the right place. It is easy to reassign a bug description to a new package in Launchpad. Of course it helps when you start in the right place, or close to there

EDIT: here are the instructions
                              https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Bugs/Reporting
                              I am thinking plasma-desktop is another good candidate.

Comment

Working...
                              X