X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No compositing

I upgraded tonight from Jaunty to Karmic via Alt+F2 update-notifier-kde -d

Other than a kdesudo crash that interupted the upgrade (killed the window even), requiring me to force the window closed and from the CLI, removing the lock file from /var/cache/archives and /var/lib/dpkg, I was able to resume it with sudo dpkg --configure -a.

But, I no longer have compositing - I can use none of the Desktop Advanced Effects. I was able to in Jaunty before the upgrade. Anyone know what I need to do to get this functionality back?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: No compositing

Is this with the intel graphics card mentioned in your sig?

1. What are the symptoms when enabling desktop effects?
    (Error messages, black/white screen, slow but usable effects, distorted graphics etc.)

2. Is direct rendering enabled?
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep direct
    3. Any relevant error messages in logs?
    (/var/log/Xorg.0.log, ~/.xsession-erors)

4. Contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf, if exists?

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
      Is this with the intel graphics card mentioned in your sig?
      Yes.
      1. What are the symptoms when enabling desktop effects?
      (Error messages, black/white screen, slow but usable effects, distorted graphics etc.)
      The red-circle-slash (universal NO) symbol to the left of the button that I can click to enable compositing, and the red-circle-slash changes to a green check-mark, but the Apply button remains grey. I can uncheck an option while on this page, and check that option again, and the Apply button un-greys, and I can click on it. I then get a Plasma notifier pop-up that tells me that all the checked Advanced Desktop features I have (remember, they were already checked and working in Jaunty) can not be used.
      2. Is direct rendering enabled?
      Code:
      glxinfo | grep direct
      I haven't checked that yet. mesa-utils was not installed (told so when I tried to run glxgears) so I installed it. glxgears works.
      3. Any relevant error messages in logs?
      (/var/log/Xorg.0.log, ~/.xsession-erors)
      I haven't checked that yet.
      4. Contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf, if exists?
      This exists:
      # xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
      #
      # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
      # values from the debconf database.
      #
      # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
      # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
      #
      # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
      # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
      # package.
      #
      # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
      # again, run the following command:
      # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used
      #Section "InputDevice"
      # Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
      # Driver "kbd"
      # Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
      # Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
      # Option "XkbLayout" "us"
      #EndSection

#Section "InputDevice"
      # Identifier "Configured Mouse"
      # Driver "mouse"
      # Option "CorePointer"
      #EndSection

#Section "InputDevice"
      # Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
      # Driver "synaptics"
      # Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
      # Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
      # Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
      # Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
      #EndSection

Section "Device"
      Identifier "Configured Video Device"
      EndSection

Section "Monitor"
      Identifier "Configured Monitor"
      EndSection

Section "Screen"
      Identifier "Default Screen"
      Monitor "Configured Monitor"
      Device "Configured Video Device"
      EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
      Identifier "Default Layout"
      Screen "Default Screen"
      # InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
      EndSection

Comment

paul@laptop:~$ glxinfo | grep direct
        direct rendering: Yes
        I'm posting this from Karmic, but I can't stand how sluggish everything is. Rebooting back into Ubuntu Jaunty.

Comment

Your GM945 is a shared video with a max of 194MB (IIRC), and Core Duo is two 32 bit processors, not a 64 bit, so it achieves any speed increase it may offer via parallelism and multi-threading. (My old Gateway 675mprr laptop was a single core 32 bit CPU running at 3.0Ghz and it used multi-threading. Various hardware tools reported it as two CPUs, showing two waveforms as the two threads were assigned different tasks.)

I've read reports that after a fresh install people reported sluggishness and resolved it to Akonadi. After they removed that app their performance got snappy.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yes, the initial akonadi indexing is a slow slog -- you have to let that finish. You don't have to remove it (unless you want to) but you do need to let it run its indexing to the finish.

Also, it would be interesting to know how the same platform behaved (regarding compositing, etc.) from a Karmic Live CD boot, and to see how it detects the same graphics chip and CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              Yes, the initial akonadi indexing is a slow slog -- you have let that finish. You don't have to remove it (unless you want to) but you do need to let it run its indexing to the finish.
              Ah, I wasn't aware that it was an indexing issue. Thanks for the info. Even updatedb requires some time the first time it is run, before locate can work. After that the cron job keeps it updated in the background.

Also, it would be interesting to know how the same platform behaved (regarding compositing, etc.) from a Karmic Live CD boot, and to see how it detects the same graphics chip and CPU.
              Great idea!
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm far from an expert, but Akonadi appears to consist of both a "server" and a "client", all on your own system:

http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/

Note the "indexing" and "archiving" functions.

Comment

I no longer have compositing - I can use none of the Desktop Advanced Effects.
                  Does anyone know why this is and how it is fixed? I am running dual LCDs in kubuntu and when I enabled xinerama, I lose all desktop effects.

Comment

Working...
                  X