Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[bloggish] blew up my root partition... again.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[bloggish] blew up my root partition... again.

This has happened twice - the first time I didn't figure it out before I lost patience and just wiped the root patition and reinstalled - sometimes I have to learn stuff the hard way

Scenario: KDE crashes. On reboot X won't start because the root partition is full. fsck and some stronger e2fsck tools all say the partition is okay. 30gb partition with about 4gb of stuff on it so I don't buy it.

Anyway, both times the machine crashed there was an rsync job running that was to an external hard drive. This time I reboot into single-user mode and find that the mount point for my external hard drive is there and it's full of files.

The fix was easy - remove the directory. A 30gb root partition can't hold the 150gb of data on the external hard drive

After that I rebooted and everything ran the way it should. The only thing I can figure is that somehow my backup drive got unmounted while the rsync job was running so rsync created a directory on my root partition and started copying files to it.

Lesson 1. Don't run rsync as root. I knew that but have had some trouble in Karmic with rsync cron jobs and rather than fix the problem I broke the rules so the job would run consistently until I had the time and the inclination to fix it. If I'd run rsync under my own user account a failure wouldn't have had permissions to write to /media in the first place.

Lesson 2. I am not smarter than the filesystem tools that tell me something's not broken.

Now I'm not a power user by any stretch of the imagination but these are rookie mistakes - sometimes I get a little cocky, I guess

I still don't know what caused the target drive to unmount, though. Hardware failure wouldn't be my first choice.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Re: [bloggish] blew up my root partition... again.

And so do I.
    I can therefore feel your pain.

But where would be progress without rookies getting a little cocky once in a while?

Originally posted by wizard10000
    . . .Now I'm not a power user by any stretch of the imagination but these are rookie mistakes - sometimes I get a little cocky, I guess
    . . .

Comment

Re: [bloggish] blew up my root partition... again.

I will offer Lesson 3., in case you have not yet learned it (like I did last night .... again ....):

Never pass by an opportunity to leave well enough alone.

Comment

Working...
      X