X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound Editor

Hi to all,

Ever since 9.04 I have not been able to find a sound editor that edits mp3 files and works with pulse audio. 9.04 KUBUNTU was unstable and I had to go back to UBUNTU, but neither had a working sound editor. Does anyone know if there is a working sound editor in this version? also, does the desktop seem stable?

Regards
    Muzza

Re: Sound Editor

I may or may not understand your question completely.

Audacity is the Linux sound editor of choice. With the appropriate codecs installed on your system, it will happily allow editing of mp3 files or any other typical sound file formats.

As far as "working with" Pulseaudio -- I'm not sure what you mean. Audacity is one thing -- an editor, and Pulseaudio is another thing (networked sound server). I don't know of any direct interface between them. Sound files edited with Audacity should play with your player (mplayer, alsaplayer, Amarok, whatever), and Pulseaudio should not care about it.

Comment

Hi Dibl

I'll give this a try now maybe it will work. I preferred to use REZOUND which worked ok until 9.04, the editor worked OK but no sound. The forums blamed this problem on Pulse. When I tried other editors, most of them crashed or could not edit mp3s.

Regards
      muzza

Comment

I use Audacity, but I just tried rezound, and it worked fine. It apparently did not connect through pulseaudio, as pavucontrol did not show any stream for it. Audacity does go through pulseaudio. Why the difference, I do not know. I have had trouble with playing stuff directly through alsa; seems like it works only intermittently. Removing pulseaudio killed sound altogether.
        My opinion: sound is a mess on karmic.
        Observation: both rezound and audacity work (today), though they seem to be playing via different pathways.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Hi doctordruidphd,

Yea, I tried for hours to get any sound editor to work, until I gave up and restored the partitions to get back to a clean install. The sound would work intermittently and was affected by various updates. Once the sound was working with youtube etc. I just left it alone and stopped applying the updates. I had hoped that this version would be better.

Audacity works fine so I'll get used to using this one.

Regards and thanks
          Muzza

Comment

FYI I just rebooted (for other reasons) and now rezound doesn't work.

Arrghh! I hope they get this straightened out.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
            X