X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Odd Firefox problem

In Firefox 3.5.3 (repo version) in Karmic/KDE 4.3.2 64 bit

This wasn't an issue when I first upgraded from Jaunty to Karmic (the process went smoothly btw) a couple of weeks back but lately when download a file in Firefox (e.g., a .pdf or .torrent) and select "open with" [default program]... well, it doesn't open. While ordinarily (for example) Okular or Deluge would pop right open with typical Linux snappiness and open the file, now I'm getting that little Firefox alert at the lower right "Download complete"... and then crickets - nothing happens. I have to "save as" and manually open the file.

Re: Odd Firefox problem

Solved by downloading the original version of Firefox 3.5 from mozilla.org... 'twas a problem with the Ubuntu version. "sudo apt-get purge firefox-3.5" and "sudo apt-get install firefox-3.5" hadn't done it, even after deleting the .mozilla directory in /home.

Comment

Re: [Solved] Odd Firefox problem

err, whoops! The original problem is solved but even though the "original" Firefox has picked up all the plugins (java, flash, mplayer plugin, etc) that were on the system and lists them in the addons dialog, it now isn't playing flash content. The 'buntu version is still installed in it's separate directory and still plays that content. So I have two halves of a fully functional firefox but not integrated!

Comment

Re: [Solved] Odd Firefox problem

I had the same problem. It appears that the 64-bit flash player is not compatible with 32-bit firefox; at least that's what I found out. I downloaded the 32-bot flashplayer from the adobe website, put it in /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer, in the process renaming the 64-bit player to 64libflashplayer.so (just in case 64-bit FF eventually gets fixed), and away it flew.
        We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
        X