Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it just me, or is firefox taking years to open webpage...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it just me, or is firefox taking years to open webpage...

hey all, just an observation, is it just me, or did upgrading to this beta slow up firefox and/or my entire internet? I mean, when I type in an address, it takes at least 30 seconds before it even starts to look up the address.... its realseeingly weird and I hope that makes sense....

and btw, I know this is just the beta, so I don't expect a resolution right away, I'm just making sure Im not going crazy...

Re: is it just me, or is firefox taking years to open webpage...

I have posted this observation in a couple threads:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106809.0

and

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106289.0

I have been looking at this since alpha 3, so if this is the first you have seen it, then something may have changed. I don't think anything has affected the lag I see since then, and the beta is no different for me.

I have no idea what the real problem is, but my guesses are ipv6, something with DNS, or the modem or isp that I have, or whatever controls all that stuff - knetworkmanager??

thanks

Comment

There have been ipv6 issues in the past but it was easy to fix. Go to about:config and make sure that network.dns.disableIPv6 is set to true.

Comment

That is a fix for firefox, but that might not be the whole issue at play here.

apt and synaptic are also very slow at looking up addresses, and they don't seem to have any configuration ability for ipv6 that I can find.

I disabled it at the kernel level, but apt and synaptic are still way slow. Firefox was "fixed" [still stalls just a wee bit at looking...] by the disabling ipv6 for the kernel, and I didn't have to do change any configuration in about:config file.

Comment

I am running FireFox on a 64bit Kubuntu Karmic partition, connected to the Internet with a 10Mb/s bandwidth connection. I have used "about:config" to set the number of pipes to 8 (the maximum).

When I click on a link that page opens and displays in a couple of seconds, unless the server is slow or the traffic on that site is heavy.

Drudge opens in about a second. So does CNN, and this site, Kubuntu.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm running an 32bit install and the speed is fine.
            Every few days or so I test the 64bit daily build as a Live USB drive and again it works fine on this Toshiba Tecra.

Comment

For me Firefox 3.5 is fast as lightning. the previous version 3.0 was not very fast and took moons to load pages.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                I am running FireFox on a 64bit Kubuntu Karmic partition, connected to the Internet with a 10Mb/s bandwidth connection. I have used "about:config" to set the number of pipes to 8 (the maximum).

When I click on a link that page opens and displays in a couple of seconds, unless the server is slow or the traffic on that site is heavy.

Drudge opens in about a second. So does CNN, and this site, Kubuntu.
                hey that worked for me for firefox. of course it didn't effect synaptic, but it shouldn't have (it's slow as well though) so thanks all for your help!!

Comment

Originally posted by suplero
                  That is a fix for firefox, but that might not be the whole issue at play here.

apt and synaptic are also very slow at looking up addresses, and they don't seem to have any configuration ability for ipv6 that I can find.

I disabled it at the kernel level, but apt and synaptic are still way slow. Firefox was "fixed" [still stalls just a wee bit at looking...] by the disabling ipv6 for the kernel, and I didn't have to do change any configuration in about:config file.
                  mmm... It sounds like you have less than an optimum configuration. Open a konsole and run "ifconfig". Do you see a line like this:
                  UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

You might have to play with the setting for that value.

Essentially: sudo ifconfig eth0 mtu 1492 (for IEEE 802.3/802.2 connections)

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-cha...ntu-linux.html

Test changes by running a network speed test. www.speedtest.net

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I did a test.

I went out to the adobe website and specifically downloaded their flash player for 64bit Linux. I replaced all existing copies of libflashplayer.so with the 64bit version

Results: My FireFox performance went into the toilet!

Every webpage I opened took from 15 seconds to more than a minute to open.

I opened Synaptic and searched for "flash", just like I did before, and reinstalled every flash file in the repository.

When I fired up FireFox again my speed was back.

Comment

I don't think Adobe is doing a very good job packaging the 64-bit flash player. Other forums have threads on the topic -- seems they are fairly careless about Debian packaging requirements.

In any event, I've stayed with the *buntu repos for flash and java, and I think I've only seen one runaway Firefox process since Alpha 6. It seems pretty quick on my rig.

Comment

Working...
                      X