This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transparent kicker

Hi everybody! First post here and I don't want to make a habit out of asking for free help, but here goes anyway...

Relatively new to Linux in general, and this is literally my first full day with a KDE desktop. Other than some minor hiccups along the way (mostly involving kpackagekit and mounting a Windows partition if you're interested), It's been smooth sailing. It still is except for one minor problem: The kicker isn't transparent, it's this hideous grey color and I can't figure out how or what I need to change it.

Again very minor, and in no way prohibitive, but for some reason, it's frustrating the hell out of me, as I know the answer or reason is probably very simple, but It's beyond my capacity to solve. My computer specs are as follows:

Emachines W3118
    1.8 Ghz Processor
    1 GB Ram
    nVidia GeForce 6100 (Version 96 driver)

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help that comes my way. I'll check periodically for the next 2 hours before I go to sleep. Thanks.

Re: Transparent kicker

Welcome to Linux and KFN. Always nice to see a new member here.

I don't have an answer to your question - assuming there is one (likely) - but check back frequently. If there is an answer, it will be posted.

Again, welcome.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, Snowhog. I try not to be the "noob" and solve my own problems, but sometimes it's better to ask I guess. Anyway, just figured out I could take a screenshot of the problem, In case the sheer greyness of the problem wasn't conveyed properly. I'm really liking KDE, especially Amarok (As does everyone else who tries it, apparently.)
      Attached Files

Comment

One thing you could do is try another icon.
        You can find a bunch of "kmenu" icons at www.kde-look.org
        In the search box on the left hand side, under all the artwork, enter 'kmenu'.
        Download one (or more) you like, then right click on the kmenu icon, choose "Application Launcher Settings", click the icon box and navigate to the icon you want.
        If that doesn't fix it, then there is some other problem we need to look at.
        We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Hello, doctordruidphd. Unfortunately, that didn't help. (Though I rather like the new rounded icon.) What I'm looking for is something like this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmMdm9liMn4&NR=1, and what I have is something like...Well...what's attached at the bottom. Not to sound like an idiot, but do I need a KDE equivalent to Compiz installed?
          Attached Files

Comment

You might want to try the Oxygen Theme - it's what I'm using in Intrepid and my Debian sid OS installs.

K Menu > System Settings > Advanced > Desktop Theme Details

Attached Files
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Welcome to the party , and don't worry about asking questions

Unfortunately, for some reason kde4.3 does not (yet) allow you to get the kicker (panel as it is called in kde4.x.x) transparent without activating desktop effects. (at least not yet)
              To do this and if your video card allows you have to go:
              kmenu -> system settings -> desktop ->activate effects = yes.

Here you can play with the settings at your hearts content.

You can also set different themes by right-clicking on the desktop and choosing desktop settings->theme (get new theme).
              Mine is in german so it may be called slightly differently on your system.

Enjoy.
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Unbelievably, I didn't even see the advanced tab in the system settings. Thanks Snowhog! I also had effects disabled. I just enabled them, and I'm going to play around with them for a while. Thanks Fintan!

Comment

Alright, this is weird...I turn some things on log off, and log back on. Success! My panel is nice and transparent, but my resolution is maximised. When I put it back to 1280 x 1024. It goes back to grey. Should I just chalk this up to working with beta software and call it a night?

Comment

Alright I got it back! Thanks for the help fellas!

Comment

Here's the proof. Well, It's quarter past one on the east coast of the U.S., time to hit the hay. Thanks again for all your help.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X