This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with kernel 2.6.31.12

I was using the .12 kernel without problems. Today, I noticed it got 'updated' - still 2.6.31.12, but a new version came down the pipes. It was very poor for me! My laptop's brightness control keys stopped working, performance was incredibly sluggish, and KDE compositing wouldn't work.

Anyone else?

Re: Problems with kernel 2.6.31.12

Yes a (Ubuntu) kernel can be updated without a version change.

Have you checked you still have the correct video driver installed? (NVideo, ATI, Inel, VESA)

Comment

I'm just using inbuilt Intel graphics. Booting the .11 kernel gives me fine performance.

Comment

My GM45 chip was giving me 50-60 fps in Stellarium before I was upgraded to .12. GoogleEarth was fast, too.

After the .12 update, the fps in Stellarium dropped to 20-30 fps. Google was noticeably slower. When olembe mentioned that composting wouldn't work I remembered that desktop effects slowed my graphics down. I had turned off desktop effects a couple months ago. It seems that the upgrade turned on desktop effects. I turned it off and got my 50-60 fps speed in Stellarium back. However, I still get garbage when the F2 configuration dialog displays, and SecondLife doesn't work at all. I believe the SL problem is due to my Karmic being 64bit, and the libia32 libraries don't work well for SL.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I've recently got interested in astronomy, so the fact Stellarium hasn't worked for months is driving me mad. Interestingly, the very first time I loaded it after the .12 kernel appeared, the toolbars were properly drawn. I got very excited! However, as soon as I opened a menu it was scrambled, and since that first time the toolbars have gone back to being scrambled too. If I could wish for one thing to be fixed right now, it would be that.

Comment

Olembe, what is the hardware you're running and which gives you Stellarium problems?

Because for me it has worked most of the time. (Read: not always)

Comment

i am running the same kernel and i have intel
              Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller
              my graphics performance is very good i mean when i use kwin effects it run smooth my only problem with graphics is this : http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106842.0

Comment

I'm using a Thinkpad X200s. According to Lenovo, it has "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD" (I can't remember how to check on the computer - lspci? this doesn't seem to give the right sort of response). lspci does mention kernel driver i915 being in use - is this the right one?

Like dicairo, I have excellent graphics everywhere else - smooth kwin effects, good glxgears and so on, and Stellarium is running at about 25 fps, which is quite usable. It's just that the menus are totally garbled, which means that overall the software *isn't* usable, as I can't get to the setting to convince it that I'm not in Paris!

Comment

Stellarium's menus have been garbled in the 64bit Kubuntu Karmic since I started using the Alpha several months ago. On my 32bit Kubuntu Jaunty partition Stellarium works fine, menus and all, but it only gives me about 20-30 fps without the active desktop. Luckily, on Karmic, the navigation works right and the star field is perfectly clear. I used it this morning to determine where the moon will be with respect to Lincoln, NE, at 6:31 AM Friday morning, so I can watch the impact of the Lacrosse satellite near the South Pole. Hope to see a flash and a plume.

The other app I run a lot but which doesn't run well on the 64bit version of Kubuntu, with my Intel video chip, is Second Life.

Oh, your GMA 4500MHD is the same as mine, which is a Intel GM45 graphic chip.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GM45 - that sounds right.

I'm having to use Stellarium on my Mac to plan sky viewing sessions. Tonight is promising to be the first cloudless night in a week!

Comment

Working...
                    X