This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone please tell me...

I've been a long-time Linux user, going on seven years now. I've mostly been a Debian guy but I dabble in Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Mepis, and other Debian derived distros because of their cutting edge or user friendly conveniences (I'm lazy!) I was always a KDE guy, but several years ago I switched to Gnome (somewhere around Gnome 2.12) when Compiz came out and stuck with it. Now, I find KDE 4.3 to be the uber awesome desktop and have switched back. History done. I've been testing the Kubuntu development release and I wonder if someone can tell me why on earth certain packages will decide to up and uninstall the whole of KDE!?!?! This has happened twice now and it's irking me to no end. The first time it happened, I tried to install some additional recommended packages for Kaffieine. Kpackage took some time to complete this seemingly simple task and then I realized it had uninstalled most of KDE!!!! Ridiculous. The second time, I was doing a dist-upgrade when most of KDE was removed without warning. What's going on Is this something I can expect with Kubuntu? Do I have to watch it like a hawk? Will this issue be resolved in the final release? I certainly hope so as I can imagine a great number of royally peeved users who suddenly find their systems trashed after trying to add a codec to Kaffeine!!

Re: Can someone please tell me...

I can't answer your question directly - I'm not running Karmic. But, on my Intrepid (KDE 4.3), I've never had the problem you describe. But then, I always do my installs/removes/purges from the CLI using apt-get, and I always simulate (--simulate) the action first to see what will happen. If I see something I don't like or understand, I don't do it for real. I'll search and ask questions.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I first experienced that phenomena with Knoppix. Just after installing it I was browsing the repository and noticed an interesting program What I didn't notice was that it was for the next version of KDE, not the one that was installed (that's what happens when you install a release ISO near the end of its life). I clicked through the OK to install button just before I realized what would happen. I watched in horror as 240 or so applications were deleted and replaced by about an equal number. When it was over, and after I rebooted, I had a beautiful NEW (at the time) KDE desktop. I was thrilled.

A few days later I saw another program in the repository and decided to install it. Failing to learn the first lesson, I noticed too late that the application was for the older version of KDE. I wasn't alarmed. I watched about the same number of programs as before get deleted, and about an equal number get installed. Upon rebooting I expected to open up the prior version of KDE. What opened up for me was a mess. No desktop. No network. Nothing worked Programs would complain about missing libraries. The installation was hosed.

After that experience I've always payed CAREFUL attention to what an application installation tells me it is going to do when I install it, BEFORE I click ok. Nowadays, I also watch to make sure it does not install anything related to MONO.

I am running two test beds on Karmic (32bit and 64bit) since the first ALpha release and I have yet to see that happen. Which applications that you installed did it?
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by cmost
        Is this something I can expect with Kubuntu? Do I have to watch it like a hawk? Will this issue be resolved in the final release?
        As a general rule, upgrades on released versions are much more conservative (some even say too conservative) than with the development version, which can be rather hectic at times.

Often all dependencies are not upgraded at the same time as some packages, which means you have to keep an eye on what would be removed. Another thing that can cause issues such as yours is using 3rd party repositories, which are usually not in sync with the development version.

Comment

Working...
        X