This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Audio in flash not working after todays update

After I held off upgrading this machine to avoid the black screen I upgraded today and now the audio in Firefox Flash is not working. The video works but no audio just static. When I look in system setting it says some drivers have been removed and do I want KDE to forget them. All that is left is pulseaudio and that has never worked on this computer to my knowledge. However when I select it and click on test it works no where else not even in Amorak. Anybody know how to fix this.
    System76 Kudu Professional 17.3 Laptop 8Gig Memory Kubuntu 14.04

Re: Audio in flash not working after todays update

I have noticed that the alsa driver option in system settings no longer works.
    I am assuming from this, that the Test in SystemSettings > Multimedia works for pulseaudio.
    To figure out what pulseaudio is doing, you need to open its configuration menu.
    Code:
    padevchooser
    You should not "sudo" this.
    It will place an icon in your system tray. Left click on it and choose "volume control". From the volume control menu, choose the Playback tab. In the dropdown menu at the lower right, choose "All Streams".

Now start firefox, and start a flash video. A new item should appear in the playback tab; you may need to increase its volume to hear anything.
    See how that goes.

Edit: also check kmix, make sure you have the PCM channel showing, and that its volume is turned up.

Edit again: You will also need to check the "output Devices" tab, and see which device works when you test in system settings. Then, make sure the output device listed on the flash stream in Playback matches the device that worked in Output Devices.
    I'll bet that's clear as mud, but it's a little more obvious when the menu is open in front of you.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Thanks but I updated this morning and now I am stuck at a login prompt. I reinstalled Alpha 6 in a different directory and did not do any upgrades and everything works for now. When I get the other one working again I will attempt your suggestion. I will leave this at alpha 6 for a while at least until the beta release.

Comment

Thanks that worked. I now have sound.

Comment

Working...
        X