This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok updated, but still no music

I've long since been satisfied to play my local music files (.wav, .ogg, and .mp3) with alsaplayer, which works fine for that purpose. But this morning's update brought an Amarok upgrade, so I thought "what the heck, I'll try it", hoping that my distant memories of endless fiddling with Amarok would not be repeated.

15 minutes later, I'd re-sorted and re-tested the sound devices in KMenu>System Settings>Multimedia a half-dozen times, opened KMixer twice, and alsamixergui once, and test-played music on alsaplayer twice.

I never heard a sound from Amarok.

Re: Amarok updated, but still no music

Did you by chance check to see what sound device/engine Amarok is set to use?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Heh -- Snowhog, you found a way for me to sink another 5 minutes into Amarok!

OK, when the nice song presently on alsaplayer finishes, I'll give it one more shot, and look at that.

Thanks (maybe ...)!

EDIT: Interesting! The "Configure Amarok > Playback > Configure" button brought up ... the "multimedia" window from System Settings! Where, of course, I found the Pulseaudio device on the top of the list where I left it. I pressed "Test" and got two things:

1. The Kubuntu theme playing
      2. A Phonon notification that the Pulseaudio device doesn't work.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ok/+bug/367326

So, with that ambiguous experience, I clicked "OK" a couple of times, and gave Amarok a try. Nada.

Back to "Configure Amarok > Playback > Configure" and changed it to the HDA Intel (STAC 92xx Analog) device. "Test" got me the Kubuntu theme. "OK", "OK", and tried Amarok. Nada. Same with the digital version of the HDA Intel device (but "test" doesn't work there, anyway). Verified that the "Backend" was already set to Xine.

10 more minutes gone, and I am once again done with Amarok. alsaplayer continues to play nicely.

Comment

heheh

Comment

Re: Amarok updated, but still no music -- More

Having a vague recollection that Amarok likes to be "first" to use the sound system, I rebooted my system, noted the Phonon "Pulseaudio doesn't work" message which came up automatically, then started Amarok, with nothing else running but the default desktop stuff (conky, compiz, emerald).

Amarok plays!

So, it's apparently still very finicky about what, if anything, has already had access to the sound system before it did.

Comment

So, as a result of your 'test,' one can say: Amarok 2.x - Doesn't play well with others.

Comment

Weird, I'm using Amarok 2.1.1 on Jaunty and I never have any issues with sound like you describe. My sound is configured for "HDA Intel". The other day I was playing music via Amarok and watching video with sound on youtube at the same time. I will admit I was surprised it didn't hiccup though since I used to have issues with only one application being allowed to use sound at a time.

Comment

Mine says 2.1.80. This is the first time I've run Amarok in over a year, so I can't say what did or didn't previously work. It has been always been "fiddly" on this machine, which has a Rev. 1 Intel HDA system. alsaplayer pretty much "just works" so I've been using that to play my music. But once in awhile it's fun to tune a radio stream, and Amarok used to do that reasonably well.

Comment

While I'm not on Kubuntu Intrepid - running my sidux (liquorix kernel) OS - I do have Amarok 2.1.1 playing right now (under KDE 4.3.1). I'm playing off of my Sansa e280 mp3 player. With the exception of no visable album art (I've posted about that seperately), it works fine.

Comment

It is working as I type this and has worked since Alpha 3 in Karmic prior to that it has not worked. I am using version 2.1.80 in KDE 4.3.1 and it is set to pulseadio as prefered. My hardware is in my Sig.
                    System76 Kudu Professional 17.3 Laptop 8Gig Memory Kubuntu 14.04

Comment

Working...
                    X