X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Firefox installer coming to kubuntu

http://apachelog.blogspot.com/2009/0...-repraise.html

"Kubuntu-Firefox-Installer
    At some recent Kubuntu meeting we came to discuss the situation of web browsers. Basically coming down to whether we do not ship Firefox by default. The answer appears to be that it wouldn't fit on the CD (or only at the cost of translations).

So dearest seele suggested that we create a simplified installer that allows users to find something 'firefoxish' that leads them directly to installation. The apachelogger code-monkey seemed to like that idea and started hacking on kubuntu-firefox-installer."

Re: New Firefox installer coming to kubuntu

Earlier:

> Firefox Browser Installer
    > Firefox Browser Installer II

Now:

> The Karmic-changes Archives >> [ubuntu/karmic] kubuntu-firefox-installer 0.3 (Accepted)
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Such a great new "feature" in helping new recruits to kubuntu surely deserved its own thread, no?

Comment

Such a great new "feature" in helping new recruits to kubuntu surely deserved its own thread, no?
        There is allways room for the information.
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
          There is allways room for the information.
          except for the little bit about it not working, or not being very clear about how to use it.
          When I try to use it, it says files already installed but Firefox is not on the menu. This is 9.10, appreciate any help available.

Comment

Originally posted by aiiee
            except for the little bit about it not working, or not being very clear about how to use it.
            When I try to use it, it says files already installed but Firefox is not on the menu. This is 9.10, appreciate any help available.
            I used 'alt-F2' typed in firefox located the installer and clicked on it... worked just fine.
            If that doesn't work for you then perhaps you could try reinstalling the installer- could be broken.
            you can also try 'sudo apt-get install firefox-3.5' in the terminal
            &quot;Your doctrines are grandiose but useless, that is why no one accepts them.&quot; Hui Tzu<br />____________ __ __ __ __ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ <br />AMD Phenom II x4 940 Denab 3.708Ghz Black Edition<br />XFX NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 710MHz<br />G.SKILL 2x2GB DDR2<br />Kubuntu 9.10....&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; ....oh and w7 for games

Comment

I still prefer the newest version of Google Chrome as my main browser.
              The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.<br /><br />-Douglas Adams

Comment

I'm very happy with Chrome (used to run Chromium by Chrome has better flash support) and Konqueror for that pages Chrome breaks but miss the almighty DownThemAll extension from FF so I tried to install it via the Kickoff menu option but nothing happens.

When I launch that from the konsole, kubuntu-firefox-install it throws a segmentation fault error:

[acidtoi@americandad 1] ~ > kubuntu-firefox-installer
                /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/KDE/korundum4.rb:597: [BUG] Segmentation fault
                ruby 1.8.7 (2009-06-12 patchlevel 174) [x86_64-linux]

Cancelled

I'm irritated I need to install FF just for one extension but it's a fact. I know I probably can install FF via repos -including sun-java6-plugin, lol- but it would be nice to know what's happening and how to solve it, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X