This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing 32-bit alsa libraries on 64 bit system

I'm posting this question here, because the process seems to have worked on jaunty, but not karmic.
    I get no sound in wine, and the reason appears to be that the 32-bit alsa libraries are not installed. The specific error message is:
    Code:
    ALSA lib ../../../src/pcm/pcm.c:2171:(snd_pcm_open_conf) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
    doing a "locate" shows that the 32bit library is in fact not there, but 64-bit is.
    I suppose I could just copy the stuff over from jaunty, but I am wondering if there is a "correct" way to do this, in such a way that it will not mess up the 64-bit stuff already there, that works perfectly.

Edit: The "problem" is confirmed -- I did a simple copy of the 32-bit alsa libraries from jaunty to karmic, and I now have sound in wine. That's a hack, not a solution, as they will not be updated. I suppose the "right" way to install the 32bit stuff is to install something that depends on it, but other than wine, which isn't doing the job, I don't think I have any such things. There is a boatload of stuff in my jaunty /usr/lib32, but nothing (until I copied) in karmic /usr/lib32. Something went wrong somewhere, since karmic is just an upgrade from jaunty, and should have all of that stuff in it.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Re: Installing 32-bit alsa libraries on 64 bit system

Have you installed the ia32libs package? If not, give it a try, and then try your wine sound again (possibly a restart of X would be needed).

Comment

You beat me to the post, Dibl!

The first time I installed a 32bit app, I forget now which one it was, the ia23 libs were installed as dependencies, automatically. Perhaps WINE doesn't trigger that dependency on a 64bit Karmic?

I run codeweaver's crossover pro and it works beautifully, including sound.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Here is what I discovered: the /usr/lib32/alsa-lib package has been removed in the karmic edition of the ia32libs package. At least here, that's how it looks. I did a reinstall of the package, and checked through the list of installed files, and no alsa-lib. If you would, please check and see if you have a /usr/lib32/alsa-lib, and also if it's in your version of ia32libs?
        If not, maybe you could check winecfg, and see how your audio is configured?
        Thanks.
        We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

I have two alsa-lib directories:
          /usr/lib/alsa-lib
          and
          /usr/lib32/alsa-lib

As I said, I installed CodeWeaver's CrossOver Pro package. It does not have or use a "winecfg".
          Sorry.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I just checked again, and ia32-libs on jaunty contains a whole bunch of alsa-lib files, while on karmic, it contains only a couple of bluetooth related alsa-lib files. That's why wine isn't producing any audio. I also notice that winecfg (for 1.1.29) does not offer an option for pulseaudio, which is further supported by statements on the wine forum that they don't use it. Well, if the k/ubuntu developers want to phase out alsa support (at least in ia32-libs) and the wine people don't want to use pulse, something's gonna have to give somewhere.

From jaunty:
            Code:
            root@Wolfenstein:/# dpkg-query -L ia32-libs | grep alsa                               
            /usr/lib32/ao/plugins-2/libalsa09.so                                        
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib                                                 
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_oss.so                                   
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_oss.la                                   
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_oss.a                                   
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_oss.so                                   
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_oss.la                                   
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_oss.a                                   
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_upmix.so
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_upmix.la
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_upmix.a
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_vdownmix.so
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_vdownmix.la
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_vdownmix.a
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_rate_speexrate.so
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_rate_speexrate.la
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_rate_speexrate.a
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.so
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.la
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.a
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_pulse.so
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_pulse.la
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_pulse.a
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.la
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.a
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_rate_samplerate.so
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_rate_samplerate.la
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_rate_samplerate.a
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_usb_stream.so
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_usb_stream.la
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_usb_stream.a
            /usr/lib32/libcanberra-0.11/libcanberra-alsa.so
            /usr/lib32/jack/jack_alsa.so
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_rate_speexrate_best.so
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_rate_speexrate_medium.so
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_rate_samplerate_best.so
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_rate_samplerate_medium.so
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_rate_samplerate_order.so
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_rate_samplerate_linear.so
            From karmic:

Code:
            greenman@Wolfenstein:~$ dpkg-query -L ia32-libs | grep alsa
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_bluetooth.so
            /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_bluetooth.so
            /usr/lib32/ao/plugins-2/libalsa09.so
            /usr/lib32/libcanberra-0.15/libcanberra-alsa.so
            /usr/lib32/jack/jack_alsa.so
            /usr/lib32/pulse-0.9.16/modules/libalsa-util.so
            /usr/lib32/pulse-0.9.16/modules/module-alsa-sink.so
            /usr/lib32/pulse-0.9.16/modules/module-alsa-source.so
            /usr/lib32/pulse-0.9.16/modules/module-alsa-card.so

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd

If not, maybe you could check winecfg, and see how your audio is configured?
              I can't help on this, doc -- I'm not a wine user. (But I am a wine drinker .... ).

Maybe time to consider VMWare Player or Virtualbox?

Comment

Maybe time to consider VMWare Player or Virtualbox?
                If I'm not mistaken, both of those solutions require purchasing M$ stuff, accepting their EULA, and in addition, then purchasing virus software, etc etc. I guess I can live with copying files around instead.

Edit: I may raise this on the wine forum and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                X