Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the new AppCenter to be aplied also to Kubuntu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the new AppCenter to be aplied also to Kubuntu?

I think the idea to have a replacement of the KPackageKit is a great idea and I would like to know if Kubuntu developers are also on board to create a centralized package manager/Update/Store in one application.
    I think it is a good initiative for Ubuntu and I would consider also a good improvement in Kubuntu to replace the actual KPackageKit that isn't as easy to use as Add/Remove nor as powerful as Synaptic.

AppCenter is planning to start in Ubuntu 9.10 and provide a more complete funtionality in 10.04 taking the simplicity of Add/Remove and the power of Synaptic to download your applications from the common repositories and also to be able to buy propietary software from the Ubuntu Store.

http://www.linuxloop.com/2009/08/30/...oftware-store/

Re: Is the new AppCenter to be aplied also to Kubuntu?

At the same time PackageKit is an upstream effort to give package management a common interface for a number of different packaging systems, while AppCenter (or "Ubuntu Software Store" as its real name is) just adds further fragmentation by adding a new and distro-specific one.
    KDE, I heart thee.

Comment

Re: Is the new AppCenter to be aplied also to Kubuntu?

I've been reading the wiki and subsequently have no idea of what is to be achieved with this.
      it will build on the basic philosophy of Add/Remove Applications and make it even easier to use.
      The "basic philosophy" of add/remove is to click to add and click to remove. Perhaps I don't understand the new math, but is there really such a thing as half a click?

Comment

Working...
      X