This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] OOo menus disappear

I mentioned this before, and I hoped that the recent upgrades would fix it, but that has not happened.

I can start OOo just fine, but when I try to click on any of the menu items in the launcher screen, then entire menu bar goes blank. The items are still there -- if I click in the blind, the submenus come up.

If I start one of the applications, the same thing happens. Also, all of the toolbar text and icons vanish.

I have tried changing themes, as someone suggested, but this did not help anything.

No other applications seem to have this problem -- firefox, thunderbird, gimp, and all of koffice are fine. So it doesn't look like an X problem. Anyone else having this trouble?

Edit: I tried starting a gnome session, and OOo running on gnome doesn't have this problem. Hmmm. I would think if it were a gtk<>qt problem, it would show up in FF or gimp.
    Well, any suggestions welcome.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Re: OOo menus disappear

I have only used OOO Calc lately, but it works fine as of this moment -- I just used it. Icons for menu selections, etc. all seem to be in good shape, even after the major upgrades of the past 24 hours.

I wonder if it is related to kwin? I am using Compiz instead of kwin.

Comment

Re: OOo menus disappear

Seems I found a workaround. It really is some kind of gtk<>kde problem after all.

System Settings > Appearance > GTK Styles and Fonts

I must choose "Use another style", and something other than QT, and it seems to be OK.
      Looks lousy, but works.

Edit: this has been going on for a while. The updates never fixed it.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Re: [solved] OOo menus disappear

I have had issues with open office in karmic which have been similar:
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3105568.0

maybe that will help get some decent looks back

This may be of use as well:
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106144.0
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I'm using OOo quite extensively in karmic and have had no problems except for the icons not initially being visible (which is now fixed).

I haven't changed any settings in the GTK options from their defaults.

Comment

Thanks to all who replied.
            I didn't have the openoffice.org-kde package installed, for some reason.
            Now I do, and going back in systemsetting>appearance.GTKstyles, and changing back to "Use kde styles in gtk applications" seems to be working.

Edit: oops, all is not well after all. Can't save odt files with graphics in them. There may be other problems as well, that have already been reported by others. Well, this is alpha.

Comment

Working...
            X