This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual-head in Karmic

Configuring dual-head from System Settings doesn't seem to work in Karmic; to set it up, I had to install GNOME and use that to set up dual-head. Even then, I had to manually add in the correct virtual desktop size to xorg.conf (see below). Anybody else experienced this?

To make it worse, if I even open Display in System Settings, that will be enough to make it lose the dual-head config and make me re-do it using the GNOME tool. When it loses the dual-head config, it mirrors the monitors at the native resolution of the smaller one. Works fine in GNOME, but of course, if I wanted to use GNOME, I wouldn't be here

My hardware: Lenovo ThinkCentre with Radeon, using the open-source driver. The monitors are a Dell 24" Lenovo 19".

lspci -nn |grep VGA
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RV610 [Radeon HD 2400 XT] [1002:94c1]

my xorg.conf:

etc/X11$ cat xorg.conf

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Configured Screen Device"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    SubSection "Display"
    Virtual 3360 2100
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

TIA for any ideas!

Jonathan

Re: Dual-head in Karmic

Maybe it is this > multihead
    I put in the first bits of code needed to make Plasma run properly in a multi-head environment where there's a different X server on each screen, as opposed to the more usual one-X-server-and-multiple-logical-screens.
    Anyways, the first bit of code is in there now and I need testers if this has any hope of working well in KDE 4.4....
    and more (of the multihead ) > 4.3 rc1 tasks widget crashiness, multi-head update
    ..If I can get more testing of this feature over the next month or two, I will backport it to 4.3.1 or 4.3.2 depending on when they come out and how much testing this new code gets...
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: Dual-head in Karmic

I'm not running multihead, this is a single X server spanning two monitors, but reading the links you posted has me thinking about going multihead instead. Of course, that's not something that Just Works either, but that's another topic entirely

Jonathan

Comment

Working...
      X