This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Problems with Alpha4

a)First, cannot mount NTFS internal drives. Need to configure them with NTFS config first. (With Jaunty, this wasnt necesary).
    b) Second, Broadcom 43xx wireless doenst work out of the box. It didnt work in jaunty either, but the solution was to do:
    rmmod ssb
    modprobe wl
    However now I get a Fatal error that the modules are not installed. Also, trying to install the propietary drivers in kde-jockey does nothing (installation hangs).
    c)The login screen resolution is squashed horizontally and shows glitches on the sides.

Other than that it seems to work (and it looks great!), but I need more time to test. I have reported the above in launchpad, any ideas?
    Thanks everyone!

Re: My Problems with Alpha4

I just tried Alpha4 this afternoon.

The usual problem with nm occured. It could see my wireless, and my neighbors, I could not get it to connect, not even to my neighbors INSECURE wireless. Even though I could give my essid, mode, security and password info, and my wireless light was on, it wouldn't connect. Neither would "sudo ifup wlan0" from a konsole, even after I set up my connection with iwconfig.

Without the connection, of course, kpackagekit could only install apps on the CD, and complained constantly about not being able to read the Ubuntu repository site.

EDIT:
    Now I am running the Kubuntu 9.10 64bit LiveCD as I edit this msg. Nm still won't connect to the wireless, but when I plug a cat5 cable from the back of my wireless modem to the eth0 port the connection is instant. However, I cannot boot the LiveCD with the cat5 plugged in ... it prevents the desktop from displaying. All I get is a black screen with the mouse arrow showing. I can move the mouse arrow around, and I hear the KDE4 startup music playing, indicating that the desktop is ready to use, BUT, no desktop is visible. So, I have to wait until the destkop appears before I plug in the cat5 cable.

An aside. Since last Feburary I have been running the 32bit version of Kubuntu 9.04. To get decent 3D performance I had to use the PPA Intel bleeding edge setup of my GM45 video. Even then, there were problems with some of the secondary video screens. SecondLife would work acceptable until I tried to edit the appearance of my avatar, or take a snapshot. Those images show a triple image mess and makes the features unusable. The FPS for avatar motion was usually less than 7. TORCS wouldn't play at all, but Stellarium and others will.

This is the 64b version of Kubuntu 9.10. SecondLife works great even with the ia32 library layer, sound, voice, snapshots, editing the avatar... Avatar motion around the sim takes place at 15fps and higher.

I will definately be moving to the 64bit version of Kubuntu 9.10 when it is released!

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

a)First, cannot mount NTFS internal drives. Need to configure them with NTFS config first. (With Jaunty, this wasnt necesary).
      Earlier > Topic: Mount problem
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Installed broadcom hardware drivers from the hardware drivers menu. That did the trick (this did not work before on Jaunty, and it hanged the first couple of times I tried it in Karmic). However, the network manager crashes a lot sometimes (depends on the session, sometimes it does it all the time, sometime it just doesnt do it).

Login screen is still squashed.

Havent been able to get 3d acceleration yet (or install any ati drivers for that matter without breaking the system).

Comment

Working...
        X