This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Wireless after Alpha 4

I just installed both Ubuntu and Kubuntu alpha 4s and my wireless stopped working in Kubuntu but
    is fine in Ubuntu.
    In fact the wireless icon (thinkpad) doesn't come on at all and Fn+F5 only toggles the bluetooth on and off. Clicking the wireless icon on the taskbar says not connected, but double clicking it shows connected but with a small exclamation mark and a full strength bar in blue.
    Ah the cutting edge is such fun!
    Tim S

Re: No Wireless after Alpha 4

Hi Tim,

I just tried Alpha 4 on my Thinkpad X200s and found something slightly different. At boot, the wireless and Bluetooth lights were both on, and Fn-F5 turns them both on and off at the same time - that is, I can have both, or none, but not just one.

Of course, this being Kubuntu, the network manager wouldn't connect to my secure wireless, but it did at least see it and allow me to enter the password.

Comment

I should have known that distro upgrades rarely go without a problem of some sort.
      Mine is an X41 and the wireless is off and I can't find away to turn it on. No problem with
      Apha 3 I could even get onto hidden networks, after unhiding them first.
      I realize that we are talking Alphas and Betas here, but why things that used to work
      just stop working I can't understand. Real bad testing is the answer,and relying on our feedback
      to eventully fix what's wrong. There's nothing wrong with that approach I guess, but it's really
      frustrating when an error makes it into a final edition. I will say that Windows Betas rarely if
      ever have these issues. Once a feature works it stays working all the way through to the final release.

Tim S

Comment

Mine says that the pretty wireless is disabled because it is unstable and has been crashing (so obviously this is going to get some new features/fixes before this releases).

I would say it was released like this simply because it is a ways out from fixing yet. This isn't even a beta, its Alpha so you cant expect some things will not still be in development.

The only frustration I have is that it says to use Knetwork manager for now while their pretty manager is overhauled however I don't know how I'm supposed to tell my wireless to initiate a connection. The settings are already there of course but other than that..

Also, I upgraded from Alpha 3 so mine might be slightly different than a clean install.

I'm using an Acer 4670 laptop.

Comment

I wanna thank all you guys for testing out Karmic!

Have you posted your bug findings to the bugzilla?
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

There are a couple of possibilities.

Have a look at your /etc/network/interfaces file - what do you see there?

Type
            Code:
            ifconfig
            in a terminal - what is the response?

You can remove network manager and install wicd - that's one option.
            Another is to remove network manager and do things manually, rather than have a program manage your network settings - it depends on how many networks you want to connect to. The less networks, the easier it is to do manually, the more networks, the more you'll appreciate a network manager to do it for you.

Check the bugs on bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
            HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

I am having no problems after a daily update yesterday. There has been some work on Network Manager (the backend) that broke the kde Network Manager bits. But after the updates, I am connecting with the new systray applet (yay!) to my protected wireless(double yay!)

Do remember, these types of issues [bWILL[/b] crop up, sometimes a [b]lot[/] in the alpha stages

Comment

You guys are having so much fun I decided to play around with the 64b Karmic too.

I found that if I boot with an eth cable from the back of my wireless modem to this laptop, in order to get a connection because the nm doesn't work with my wireless, the desktop does not complete its display because it hangs waiting for the connection details so it can connect before any GUI is displayed. I can hear the KDE4 startup music playing in the background, but no desktop. Off to the bugzilla!

EDIT 08/19/09 11:12PM CST
                I downloaded today's snapshot of 64b Kubuntu 9.10 Alpha4 and ran it as a LiveCD. The nm problem appears to be solved. I was able to click on my wireless in the list of identified wireless modems and it identified the type of security and asked for the password. After I supplied the password it made a connection to my wireless modem very quickly. For the last hour it has stayed connected without problems.

There were 85 updates available.

After the updates:
                I tried SecondLife again - it worked perfectly, sound and acceleration.
                I tried TORCS, which Jaunty could not run because the 3D in 32bit jaunty wasn't fast enough, and found that it worked perfectly too.
                All the problems I noticed in the Aug 13th release were gone.
                Everything I've tried has worked well.
                Karmic's ALpha4 is now working as well as Juanty's Alpha4 when I installed it. I think I will be saving my data to DVDs and installing the 64bit Karmic over Jaunty.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                X