X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visual for the eye-candy crowd

Here's what I've got with Karmic, so far:

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/index.p...o_show&ida=253

I'm using a legacy Grub menu to boot it due to a problem with Grub2 not putting my other OS on to the menu. It's on an ext4 filesystem. VMWare Player 2.5.2 builds on the 2.6.31 kernel, with a patch, but the keyboard and mouse are hosed on both the guest and the host once you try to log in to the guest, so we're waiting for a fix on that. Otherwise, everything seems to work - audio, video, flash, java, webcam, etc. I have not attempted Amarok, having discovered that alsaplayer is perfectly functional for playing my digital music, and not having time to play with streaming radio lately. Here's the hardware info:

CPU Info (1) Intel Core2 X6800 @ 4096 KB cache flags( sse3 nx lm vmx ) clocked at [ 1596.000 MHz ]
    (2) Intel Core2 X6800 @ 4096 KB cache flags( sse3 nx lm vmx ) clocked at [ 2926.000 MHz ]
    Videocard nVidia GT200 [GeForce GTX 260] X.Org 1.6.3 [ 1600x1200@50.0hz ]
    Network cards Intel 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller, at port: 1000
    Processes 159 | Uptime 9:09 | Memory 538.3/3965.3MB | HDD WDC WD1002FBYS-0,WDC WD7500AAKS-0,WDC WD1500AHFD-0 Size 1900GB (53%used) | GLX Renderer GeForce GTX 260/PCI/SSE2 | GLX Version 3.1.0 NVIDIA 190.18

Re: Visual for the eye-candy crowd

That's cool. Just installed yesterday and have not had a chance to play with it yet.

Comment

After all the trouble I had getting flash to work in jaunty, with the latest karmic upgrade, I can't get flash to work in karmic, no how. Gnash works OK, but some sites test for flash and won't play without it (any way to get firefox to lie?). Firefox claims it can see the plugin (in tools-addons-plugins and edit-preferences-applications) but I get nothing, not even a blank screen where the flash screen should be, in youtube for example. This is a 64 bit system, and I have tried both the experimental 64 bit player and the regular 32. Arrghhh!
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

@doc, after a new Kubuntu installation (like I did last Friday), I always start here for the audiovisual stuff:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

Just follow the process, and paste the commands into your Konsole window. Substitute "karmic" for "jaunty", where applicable. One of the packages wasn't in the repo, causing a "no candidate" error in apt. So, you can either edit the "apt-get install" line to remove that package, or run it first for the packages before the missing package, and then again for the packages beginning after the missing package.

I haven't used gnash for a long while -- I wish it would be more effective -- I'd love to see an open-source flash player. But it doesn't work very well, in my experience.

Comment

Thanks for the tip; I'll give it a try.

I have found that, even on sites that complain about not having flash, if I download the stuff, it runs perfectly with gnash. I'm not sure how firefox goes about reporting that it doesn't have flash, but there's gotta be a way to make it lie.

May I'm just paranoid, or maybe I was a Windows user for so long that I learned the hard way, but I worry about closed-source internet applications including flash, and what they might be doing, and who they might be sending it to.

Edit:

Code:
          sudo apt-get purge adobe-flashplugin flashplugin-nonfree gnash gnash-common libflashsupport mozilla-plugin-gnash nspluginwrapper swfdec-mozilla && sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
          That worked. Wiped out gnash/flash in konqueror, though. Have to do some more playing.
          We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
          X