This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDM 4.3?

What about kdm 4.3? It needs an emergency upgrade as 4.2.98 is broken (blank screen after the login happens after an upgrade to RC3)...
    P.S. found it at https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/...4.3.0-0ubuntu1. Looks like Canonical forgot to upload it to their main distro pool for Karmic...

Re: KDM 4.3?

??

Here, i'm using the main server:
    Log of sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Wed Aug 5 12:17:00 2009

Reading package lists...
    Building dependency tree...
    Reading state information...
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    ...kdeutils kdf kdm kfind kfloppy...
    Get:91 http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic/main kdm 4:4.3.0-0ubuntu1 [1942kB]
    Preparing to replace kdm 4:4.2.98-0ubuntu4 (using .../kdm_4%3a4.3.0-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement kdm ...
    Setting up kdm (4:4.3.0-0ubuntu1) ...
    Installing new version of config file /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc ...

Hmm - i just noticed that you are using the amd64. There has been problems with the builds > kdebase-workspace 4:4.3.0-0ubuntu1. At the moment:
    karmic powerpc Chroot problem
    karmic lpia Failed to build
    karmic armel Failed to build
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Hmmm... that's why several updates have been blocked...

Comment

Hi Both,

I had a working Karmic 64-bit AMD64 machine using KDE4.3 ; but I tried to be too clever and tried to do a custom installation of the ati-driver-installer ........

However I managed only to trash the system

Now I just get the "blank screen" as above; cannot get any video even from the recovery system - I think various ati files have got installed and are not working.

Does anybody know how to re-install the "default" X drivers without doing a re-installation? I've tried using my Jaunty xorg.conf settings but no luck, and it looks like the X driver is very different anyway now. Shouldn't fiddle I suppose - but, Hey, it's fun - most of the time!

Comment

At what stage do you get the "blank screen" ? Before the graphical log in or after it ?

Something to try (if the "blank screen" is after graphical login):

When you are at the graphical login screen, don't log in, press Ctrl+Alt+F1.
          Virtual konsole #1 will pop up. Log in and make a new default xorg.conf:

Code:
          sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
          It should tell something like this:
          xserver-xorg postinst warning: overwriting possibly-customised configuration
          file; backup in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20090808172637
          After this, press Ctrl+Alt+F7 and reboot. Any help ?

Comment

Thank you Rog.

When I try a "normal" boot I do not get to the login screen; I get a "blank" screen - actually not completely blank; just bits of scrambled colour here and there and a very faint, split, blotchy Kubuntu word.

I booted in recovery mode, and dropped to root at the Prompt page, I did the sudo dpkg-reconfig ....... (again - as I already tried before). The root prompt returns - but I get no message about xorg! If I "exit" from the root prompt, and then resume the boot I get the same faint garble colour blobs.

Somehow the xorg settings have got scrambled up when I tried the ATI installation.

I think I may need to re-install, as I've tried editing the xorg.conf file and inserted the "vesa" driver.

Comment

I think I may need to re-install,
              Sometimes the reinstallation is the fastest (easiest) option...

When I try a "normal" boot I do not get to the login screen; I get a "blank" screen - actually not completely blank; just bits of scrambled colour here and there and a very faint, split, blotchy Kubuntu word.
              Something to try - usplash fails/booting without the usplash

At the grub menu, press the "e" (edit), remove the "splash" from the kernel line.
              Press "b" to boot. The boot could go without problems (if this is a usplash problem) or you could get some error messages.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilT

I get a "blank" screen - actually not completely blank; just bits of scrambled colour here and there and a very faint, split, blotchy Kubuntu word.
                If you installed a proprietary video driver, and you remember how to do it in the CLI, you might try a reinstallation of that, before you do the entire OS. This looks like a driver installation gone bad. (I'm hoping it's not a graphics chip gone bad!).

Comment

I had a similar problem: when booting, I would get only messed up graphics, and could get no text screens at all. I was informed on another board that the 2.6.31 kernels no longer support the "vga=" option. Which, I suppose, means usplash and splashy are also off the list.

Once I removed the vga= and splash options from the kermel boot line in /boot/grub/menu.lst, I get a normal boot, and functional CTRL-ALT-F* consoles, though ugly they be. I hope there will be some alternative to this at some point.
                  We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd

Once I removed the vga= and splash options from the kermel boot line in /boot/grub/menu.lst

You have a menu.lst file in your 9.10 /boot/grub directory?

Comment

Thanks to all for your suggestions; tried but failed! I think I've made so many changes the poor Koala is going to retreat to Australia .

The kernel boot line has no arguments except ... ro single (no reference to splash)
                      Tried re-installing the ATI driver from the CLI - no luck. Tried various ideas from the http://wiki.cchtml.com ..... Jaunty Installation Guide (for ATI driver). Just got worse.
                      There is no menu.lst as this is Karmic - although complicated because I'm dual-booting Jaunty and Karmic (Jaunty is fine and its grub entries control the boot - Karmic is an option).

So, I think the easiest and best option now is to reinstall Karmic Alpha 3 and try again.

Thanks for all your suggestions - I'm sure I've done something stupid without realising why. >

Comment

Keep a log of what you do - packages added/removed, etc. I do. It will come in handy more often than you may realize.
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You have a menu.lst file in your 9.10 /boot/grub directory?
                          Yep, this disk multiboots several systems, the first one where the boot file are located being a recovery system that is a bare-bones jaunty. It's an ext3 system with "legacy" grub. My karmic system is an upgraded jaunty on a different partition. So the system is still booting off the old grub, and I think will continue to do so, until the bugs get worked out. The grub2 install is a future project.

Seems to boot ext4 partitions just fine, as long as the boot stuff itself is ext3.
                          We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd

So the system is still booting off the old grub, and I think will continue to do so, until the bugs get worked out. The grub2 install is a future project.
                            Aha!

OK, I understand now. I'm doing the same thing -- I could not get Grub 2 to put my other OS up on the boot menu, so I reverted to the legacy grub. But, here's good information about Grub 2:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...58&postcount=6

Comment

Working...
                            X