This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ekiga installation - no video - solution

I read today where EBay is being sued by the guys they bought "most" of Skype from. Amazing, they paid $2.8 BILLION for Skype and didn't make sure it included the key component. It also points out the unbelievable GREED the owners have in pulling such a stunt with the obviously clueless EBay Management.

Anyway. I have been running Karmic ALPHA3 in LiveCD mode on my notebook all day just to check it out. when I heard about the Skype lawsuit I decided to see how Ekiga played on Karmic. I installed Ekiga from the repository. I could not get it to recognize my UVC camera. Curious, I decided to see what Cheese under Karmic would do. I installed it. Before I ran it I decided to see if it installed anything that could help Ekiga. It did! Installing Cheese enabled me to get video in Ekiga.

The Ekiga developers should see what cheese is doing to get webcams to work and copy it.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: Ekiga installation - no video - solution

Interesting story about Skype -- thanks!

Yes, I use Ekiga on Kubuntu and also on sidux. I have an old Logitech Quickconnect STX. At times, it has been necessary to run Ekiga and Kopete with an "LD_Preload=" command to get the video to work. I wonder if Cheese has that embedded? Anyway, I'm a fan of whatever works -- nice job!

Comment

Thanks GreyGeek, that is very useful. I use Ekiga but don't have a videocam on my box, but my wife does on her ASUS.

There is definitely a connection between programs, maybe it is an optional library or something else.
      I had problems with dragon player once and after installing vlc, dragonplayer improved greatly.
      HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

This may not contribute much to the discussion here. But I am also running a Logitech Quickcam that is identified either as 'Chat' or Elch2'.

It works on my 9.10 and 9.04 installation. Ekiga, Cheese, Skype, Camorama. Used to have a fuzzy, dark picture. Suspected driver problem. But the driver is working just fine. I am starting the camera with the 'pre-load ' command.

After discussion and assistance from Dibl I concluded that it had to be a hardware problem with the camera. Closer examination of the camera showed that with the front cover/lid on, the camera would not adjust focus enough to deliver a sharp picture. Took cover off, adjusted focus and, voila, I have a crisp, clear, well-lighted picture.

Nothing fancy on my computer. 2.6 AWD, Nvidia graphics card, standard 17' CRT monitor and the updated versions of the above OS.

Conclusion: If I can get the camera to work, anyone with just a little more knowledge than my own should be able to do it as well. I am a bloody beginners traipsing in the dark.

Now, if I knew how to get a camera picture on this post, I would flaunt my 'new and improved' picture.

Originally posted by dibl

Yes, I use Ekiga on Kubuntu and also on sidux. I have an old Logitech Quickconnect STX. At times, it has been necessary to run Ekiga and Kopete with an "LD_Preload=" command to get the video to work. I wonder if Cheese has that embedded? Anyway, I'm a fan of whatever works -- nice job!

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

What did you "LD_Preload"?
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by PJJ
            .... I am also running a Logitech Quickcam that is identified either as 'Chat' or Elch2'....
            Thanks for the info! I am looking for a webcam for my wife's laptop. I was at China Inc (Walmart) this evening and noticed the Quickcam Chat and wondered if it would work with Kubuntu. With your confirmation I will be buying one for her.

Comment

The camera shows up on my system as follows:

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:092e Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Chat

lsmod names driver:

gspca_spca561 9372 0
              gspca_main 22812 1 gspca_spca561

Found it in one of the posts (by Dibl) and compiled it. Though I got error messages, it somehow installed anyway. I believe I finally installed it from the repositories. Don't know any more and do not want to touch the setup since it works just fine.

By the way, it also works on 9.04. Don't know how I got the driver into that system.
              Next I will try to install it to 9.04 on an old Compaq Presario. Jus to see if it works.

Hope this helps. I am by no means an expert. Groping around in the dark, but got lucky.

Comment

mmm.... That's not what I wanted to read.

I checked the repository and only the gspca source is present. After 40 years I retired from programming a year ago, and haven't the mood to start compiling again. I'm looking for a webcam that will be plug into the USB port and be recognized as a UVC device and configured automatically, like the built in webcam on this laptop, a Sony VAIO VGN-FW140E/H

Comment

When I plugged the camera in for the very first time it worked - with a fuzzy picture.
                  Tried to tweak it and it stopped to work.

That's when I eventually landed on the gspca driver.
                  My compilation efforts did not succeed.
                  But I followed other instructions on how to get the camera working and in the process and most likely by pure accident, the driver ended up on my computer. As a working driver.

Sometimes beginners get lucky, I guess.

I found much information here:

http://linusearch.com/wordpress/?tag...ch-quickcam-im (that is essentially how I did it).

Dibl gave me these links:

http://lwn.net/Articles/291036/
                  which shows the camera as compatible with Linux.

And here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3105481.0
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3098024.0

As I understand the gspca driver is now built into Linux. But you still need to install "libv4l".
                  I also use the preload command.

Anyway, if I can get the camera to work you can!

I have dabbled in Linux for a few years but only superficial stuff that I need for my purposes.
                  No fancy stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by PJJ
                    As I understand the gspca driver is now built into Linux. But you still need to install "libv4l".
                    I also use the preload command.
                    I know that I can compile the gspca driver, I just don't want to. I am searching for a UVC recognized camera.

BTW, what was your "PRELOAD" command?

Comment

Hi,

with some programs that still use V4l(1) instead of v4l2 you must use:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

The above was what i use to run skype with my webcam, but is not needed with aMsn or kopete, they both use v4l2

BTW, karmic currently uses a updated gspca and you can allways grab a snapshot from here : http://linuxtv.org/hg/~jfrancois/gspca

I'm using a sn9c20x with the default gspca from karmic gspca.deb and it works, although relatively slow

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
                      Description: Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch)
                      Release: 14.04
                      Codename: trusty

Comment

The preload command is mentioned several times in the links I gave you.
                        For Skype it is:

"LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype"

Replace 'Skype' with 'Ekiga' for Ekiga and so on for Cheese or the other programs.

Of course, before the preload can be used, v4l1 must be installed.

I out the preload command into 'command" on the "application" tab of the Skype desktop icon.
                        Same with Ekiga.

[quote=GreyGeek ]
                        Originally posted by PJJ
                        . . .

BTW, what was your "PRELOAD" command?

Comment

Working...
                        X