Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing default network manager to WICD?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing default network manager to WICD?

I've spoken to quite a few people over the past few weeks, and a good number of the higher-ups tell me that, as KNetworkManager stands, it just isnt ready for general consumption (this is coming from a few developers, not just us poor old common folk).

So, here's my suggestion, can Karmic please provide WICD as default, or, if possible, to load it as an alternitive?

I've added this idea to Ubuntu brainstorm. http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/20854/

Re: Changing default network manager to WICD?

I agree, this needs to be available on the installer/live cd. Some of us, like me, can only connect by wireless connection

With no wired connection available, and the default network manager funked, and no option to install a useable network manger users will have to pass kubuntu by as it will be useless.

Comment

DanteAshton.... I have posted the following question in the ubuntu forums http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1228081 and would like your opinion based on the message you left at brainstorm
      I know, out of experience, that GNOME's network manager does not like my wired connection. I know that KDE's network manager does not function with wired or wireless connections.

I know, however, that WICD likes both my connections.
      My post there is as follows:
      My mother has comcast cable internet w/ a surfboard modem.

nm-applet shows it's connected but can't browse the internet.
      I connect my laptop and nm-applet shows connection but can't browse the internet.

Connected a desktop, nm-applet shows connection but can't browse the internet.

I connected a wireless router to it, and as long as we're connected through it (either wireless or wired into the router) it connects and works just fine, works very good in fact with all computers listed above.

Is this a nm-applet issue or is comcast somehow blocking linux from connecting? (All three systems are hardy on the desktop, intrepid on moms laptop, and jaunty on my laptop at the time).

Or is this something that WICD could take care of? (Going to try it when I get home, just wanted some user input on this as a suggestion)

Also has anyone else experienced this problem before?
      My question to you is, do you think WICD would solve the problem?

Comment

Hi,

and what about Mobile Broadband?
        As i can remember wicd does not support anything else than Ethernet and Wireless connections. Never had any problems with nm-applet till today in a lot of different hardware and connections.
        Distributor ID: Ubuntu
        Description: Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch)
        Release: 14.04
        Codename: trusty

Comment

I wouldn't give up on either knetworkmanager or nw-applet. Getting bugs out takes time, but in the end the dev crew gets it worked out. Remember, while these folks are contributing their time after work, they also have to have a life above work and coding FOSS apps.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

nm seems to have very good connections with KDE.

I removed, even purged nm from my Jaunty (and Karmic) and found that in Kmenu > System Settings > Advanced > Hardware

that I couldn't get rid of nm, nor could I add wicd, although I was using wicd and it was managing my network.

I filed a bug report against system settings, but it was not accepted because nm is a permanent part of KDE, so it has to be in system settings.

Nevertheless, nm seems to work quite well in Ubuntu Jaunty. There are some posts that suggest using it instead of Kubuntu nm. For those who have problems with nm in Jaunty and / or Karmic, try wicd, it seems to do a better job at the moment. Hopefully, nm will be fixed, soon. At least nm works for dhcp and unencoded wireless.
            HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Oh, I agree, KNetworkManager was, after all designed for the KDE desktop enviroment. I simply ask that we are given an alternitive (and more stable) alternitive whilst we wait.

I'm not entirely sure how to solve your problem, I know next to nothing about networking.

Comment

Originally posted by DanteAshton
                Oh, I agree, KNetworkManager was, after all designed for the KDE desktop enviroment. I simply ask that we are given an alternitive (and more stable) alternitive whilst we wait.

I'm not entirely sure how to solve your problem, I know next to nothing about networking.
                WICD is definitely a lot better than KNetwork Manager.

Comment

knetworkmanager works very well with all type of connections and even with mobile, just wait 9.10 final and you will see it is very stable. 9.04 worked quite well too and wifi wpa2 worked fine, only developers had forgotten to add word for mark as wpa2 to NM.

Comment

It won't even connect to WEP for me, it is highly annoying. Although i just moved house and we have WPA here, maybe i will have more luck with that!

Comment

nm seems very hardware dependent.

On my Sony VAIO VGN-FW140E/H it works very well with both wireless (WEP, WPA) and ETH.

My wife's laptop is an Acer 3404Li and nm doesn't work at all with the wireless on that laptop, while Wicd, on the other hand, connects instantly for both wireless (WPA, WEP) and Eth0.

You'll notice that behavior with other hardware devices too, even between distros. Mandriva 2009 PWP wouldn't give me 3D acceleration with the Intel i810 driver it was using. Januty automatically gave me 3D when the LiveCD booted up, but using an Intel i915 driver. Both use HAL to detect the video chip but HAL gets it right on one but not the other.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                      X