• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grub 2

Few links:

> Grub 2 Basics
    Introduction
    I've written this guide to present some very basic information about Grub 2. It is meant for users who may be familiar with basic editing of the original Grub (Grub Legacy) menu.lst and wonder how it carries over to Grub 2 (ver 1.97). I will not cover how to install or uninstall Grub 2 or whether you should convert to Grub 2...

> Topic: GRUB2 Testing Question
    > Topic: grub didnt detect windows 7
    > Topic: GRUB-2 eats kittens?

> Re: Karmic Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.3 ALPHA-3 (Karmic Koala Technical Overview & Karmic Koala Alpha3 Kubuntu) >> If you install Karmic Alpha 3 alongside Windows, the grub boot menu may not offer to start Windows. (402795)

> Topic: Grub2 and a small question
    > Topic: Missing menu.lst in 64-Bit Karmic
    > Topic: Grub2 splash theme a video card issue?

Here, with the clean installation from the Kubuntu Karmic alpha-3 alternate CD.

- The installation program is starting the hard drive count from the SATA drives.

I have 2x PATA and 2x SATA. Old way with the Legacy Grub was to count the PATA drives before the SATA drives. If i want to use the Grub2 i need to go to the bios settings and change the "First Boot Device" from the "HDD-0" to the "SCSI".

- The installation program is detecting and writing Microsoft Windows information to the /etc/grub.d/30_otheros. There is a bug (402795). I need to edit the 30_otheros, it has line:
    Code:
    drivemap -s (hd0) $root
    It should be:
    Code:
    drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
    After this:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub2
    will rebuild the the Grub2 menu file (grub.cfg)
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Re: Grub 2

Out of interest, what advantages does GRUB 2 provide over the current GRUB? I've heard somewhere GRUB 2 can work with more computers...not sure if this is true...

Comment

The > GRUB 2: the New Boot Loader in Ubuntu 9.10 tells:

Why? Simply, because GRUB wasn't updated since 1996 and it doesn't have support for today's BIOSes. But, let's see exactly what GRUB 2 will bring new to the table:
      • Support for newer systems
      • Scripting support
      • Internationalization support
      • A new way to number partitions
      • Improved memory management
      • Cross-platform installation support
      • Graphical user interface
      • Portable
      • and many more

My comment: The Grub 2 (1.96) is still a development (nerd / geek) version...
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Good! God knows I've lost a lot of potentinal convertees to Linux because the ruddy system refused to load.

Comment

Working...
        X