X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Task manager "invisible" in KK udated with KDE 4.3 RC2

Hello folks,

I just want to report - taskmanager is now somewhat invisible after udate of KDE packages to 4.3RC2 while it was working on out-of-bos KK 9.10 alpha 2. It is still there, ie I can interact with it, mouse right click on blank area where task manager applet used to be still allows me to invoke task manage settings dialog, but taks manager itself is not visible anymore and of course no applications are on it. Strange thing is Stast applet is doing the same.
    Is there anyone else having same issues? What can I do how can I help to make this fixed?

Re: Task manager "invisible" in KK udated with KDE 4.3 RC2

Here the taskmanager seems to work as usual but sometimes the plasma-desktop could have strange hickups.

If you start another taskmanager at the plasmoidviewer is it working ?
    Code:
    plasmoidviewer tasks
    plasmoidviewer --help
    Usage: plasmoidviewer [Qt-options] [KDE-options] [options] applet [args]

Run Plasma widgets in their own window
    Are there error messages ?

Sometimes the plasma-desktop could need a restart:
    Code:
    kquitapp plasma-desktop
    plasma-desktop
    and sometimes the plasma settings could be get mangled. To reset the plasma setting to the default - shut down the plasma:
    Code:
    kquitapp plasma-desktop
    and rename the ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc, plasma-desktop-appletsrc, plasma-desktoprc and plasmarc /1/.
    Restart the plasma:
    Code:
    plasma-desktop

/1/ You could use the Konsole or the Dolphin&Konqueror, they don't need the plasma-desktop to work.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I am having the same problem on two computers with very different hardware, one is an EEE 900. I can't see any minimized programs without doing an Alt + Tab.

Both systems had Kubuntu 9.04 installed, I installed the KDE 4.3 beta before RC1 was released which didn't have this problem, and now RC 1 and 2 have this issue.

Comment

I see it too, Bug filed at: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=199957

Comment

On that bug report they are looking for a non Kubuntu user with this issue. I'm a little slow with these things but I can get a VM running of SUSE or something with KDE 4.3. If anyone already has a system set up where they can verify this bug for them then please beat me to it.

Comment

I had another bug open with them, to do with Korganizer crashing upon startup. They seem to have sussed out that it's a problem with Kubuntu's packaging... which is probably why they're suspecting the same with this.

If it's not too much trouble, see if you can replicate it with SUSE or other and let them know... I'm sure they'll want to squash it before 4.3 final!

Comment

I updated both of my systems to RC3 (4.2.98) and I had dependency hell on both of them. There were conflicting files between kdebase-runtime-data and kdebase-workspace. After forcing a few uninstalls and finding 4.2.96 and 4.2.90 packages were conflicting with 4.2.98 I was finally able to get RC3 all up and running and I do now have my task bar back on both systems .

It looks like I had old packages still installed for some reason, I wonder if this caused the missing taskbar issue. If so then this quite possibly was just a Kubuntu packaging problem.

Comment

Working...
              X