Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kontact, Google Calendar, and KDE 4.3rc1?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kontact, Google Calendar, and KDE 4.3rc1?

After several fruitless google searches over the last few weeks, I thought I would ask here.

Is it possible now to sync korganizer with Google Calendar? I didn't see any obvious possibilities in the likely places in Akonadi and Kontact.

Does a package from a PPA need to be installed?

Re: Kontact, Google Calendar, and KDE 4.3rc1?

Google gives this:
    http://www.terminally-incoherent.com...tact-and-gcal/

and
    http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/122054
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

In addition, "Google calendar and contacts resource for Akonadi" is marked as done in KDE 4.3 feature plan: http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KD...re_Plan#kdepim

I don't use akonadi or google calendar, so I can't tell you how to set it up or how well it works.

Comment

I tried to use GCalDaemon and it was a pain to set up even with the (apparently) detailed and explicit instructions in the Linux.com article.

I was hoping that now that KDE 4.3 had a RC out, the Google Calendar Sync would finally be included, but it looks like it is not.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
          In addition, "Google calendar and contacts resource for Akonadi" is marked as done in KDE 4.3 feature plan: http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KD...re_Plan#kdepim

I don't use akonadi or google calendar, so I can't tell you how to set it up or how well it works.
          I've examined the various options in Akonadi, and none of them look to be useable with Google Calendar. I was hoping that someone might provide a clue as to how to sync Kontact and Google Calendar, and not just point to info that such support is "completed."

Comment

Originally posted by timek718
            I've examined the various options in Akonadi, and none of them look to be useable with Google Calendar.
            According to this video http://blip.tv/file/1972974/, there should be a google calendar resource for akonadi, but this bug/wish https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/380245 suggests it's not yet packaged for (k)ubuntu.

You can probably use the akonadi iCal resource to read your google calendar, but full support should come with the specific google calendar resource.

Comment

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/4049

Akonadi Resources for Google Contacts and Calendar
              Submitted by krake on Sun, 08/16/2009 - 12:04

* Development
              * KDE PIM

There has been some confusion about Google data capabilities around the KDE 4.3 release.

The 4.3 Feature Plan has an entry for that and it is marked as "Completed".

What it meant is that the Google Data resoures by Adenilson Cavalcanti would be available at the time of the 4.3 release, however it got, understandably, interpreted as being part of KDE PIM in 4.3.

Lesson learned: don't put features which are not part of the main modules on the feature plan.

Anyway.
              The Google Data resources are currently developed and maintained as part of KDE's extragear effort, basically a "third party" module hosted on KDE's infrastructure.
              Applications in there follow their own development and release cycles, though I think it is possible to put tags on certain versions to indicate which version will work best with the newest KDE release.

In case of the Google Data resources, the original plan of releasing simultaniously with KDE 4.3 got scrapped in favor of an urgent fix in one of the two resources and, IIRC, in the Google Data access library used by both.

Since neither the maintainer nor any of us from the KDE PIM had previous experience with extragear style releases, we seem to have failed doing a proper release announcement or doing it at the proper channels.

The source archive for the resources can be found here, depending on the libgcal version 0.9.2 which can be found here.

We might decide to move their code into the main KDE PIM module (kdepim-runtime actually) at a later version. For now the extragear style has the advantage of allowing a fast paced development with released in between KDE releases.

Comment

Thought I'd update this thread with the following information - Korganizer and Google Calendar can now be synced using Akonadi!

Firstly, you need to install the package called "akonadi-kde-resource-googledata".

Secondly, run "Akonadi Configuration" and add a new resource. After clicking the "Add..." button, you should be able to choose to add a Google Calendar. On the next screen, type in your Google username and password.

Finally, back in Korganizer, click the "+" button above the list of calendars and add your Akonadi server to your list of calendars. All the calendars stored on your Akonadi server (including the Google one you just added) will be added to your Korganizer calendars.

That's it!

Comment

Originally posted by redseventyseven
                  Thought I'd update this thread with the following information - Korganizer and Google Calendar can now be synced using Akonadi!...
                  Nice. Thanks for the update.

Comment

There is also an option for Google contacts. I have added this to Akonadi, but how do I see those contacts in the Kontact PIM?

Comment

Originally posted by Wylbur
                      There is also an option for Google contacts. I have added this to Akonadi, but how do I see those contacts in the Kontact PIM?
                      Might find some help in here...
                      http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=61649

Blah... that thread is too old... perhaps there is a new one though at forum.kde.org

Comment

Originally posted by redseventyseven
                        Thought I'd update this thread with the following information - Korganizer and Google Calendar can now be synced using Akonadi!
                        Thanks!!!

I was able to successfully access my calendar and contacts through Kontact.

It looks as though the calendar will only sync with your default google calendar and not all calendars. Does anybody know if their is a way to configure this (back or front door) if you have multiple google calendars?

Comment

Hi!

Sorry for my english

I have also multiple google calendars and i was not able to cofigure to see everything.

Maybe the best way is using gcaldaemon.

Comment

FYI, I played with this last week for Contact synchronization (didn't mess with calendar at all). At the moment the the situation for KDE and Google contact synchronization is frustrating to say the least. In the end I found two "possibilities" both of which don't really work:

GCalDaemon: For all intents and purposes, gcaldaemon is broken for contacts. Apparently, google changed their API for contacts recently and the current gcaldaemon code just doesn't work at all anymore (for contacts). There have been some attempts to hack this in the gcaldaemon forums, but thus far no one has really come up with something usable. I've been considering fixing this code myself, but see the next item.

Akonadi-Google-Resources: This seems to be the future, and really the best solution..eventually. But, at the moment, the biggest issue is all multi-value fields (email, phone, address, etc.) are only available as single value. For me this just plain doesn't work because almost all my contacts have more than one of at least one of those fields and they just disappear after you enter them. The issue here is with libgcal which the akonadi google resource is using. That has to be fixed before the akonadi resource can be fixed.

So, at the moment I'm torn because I know any time I spend on gcaldaemon is wasted, but I'm not really sure I want to dive into what it would take to get libgcal and the akonadi resource fixed. So, it might be best to just wait until they fix the akonadi google resource.

It's frustrating to say the least. I just bought a Motorola Droid and I was really hoping to be able to sync my local contacts up into gmail and then down to the phone, but it seems I'm going to have to wait a while.

Comment

I installed the akonadi plugin the other day but haven't had much success. I had been using Sunbird on gnome until installing kubuntu 9.10. The akonadi setup with korganiser seemed to go well and be simple but it wiped out my google calender on first run. I didn't have much data on it so it wasn't really important but could be annoying to someone who has more data.

I have just had another go with it tonight and this time it picked up an entry I made on the net but it didn't upload the entries I made in korganiser and then I managed to wipe everything again.

It seems to be too unreliable at the moment. I did see some comment that akonadi and the kdepim are in heavy development and should see major improvement in kde 4.5. I think I will go back to Sunbird as it seems much more reliable.

Comment

Working...
                              X