This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[resolved] Unmounting Network Shares Before Shutdown/Restart

Whenever I shutdown or reboot, the shutdown process hangs for several minutes, returning six instances of the following message:

Code:
    CIFS VFS: No response for cmd 50 mid ##
    The problem appears to be obvious: NetworkManager is shutting down before the Network Shares are unmounted (based on some googling and reading of ubuntuforums.org threads, it might also be relevant that my network is WPA2).

I have tried raising the priority of umountnfs.sh in /etc/rc0.d and /etc/rc6.d, with no luck.

So, my guess now is that KNetworkManager is getting shut down with the UI, and still before umountnfs.sh is run by the shutdown/restart sequence.

Has anyone run into this? Do you know of a fix?

I found a GNOME-related fix, but assume that it wouldn't be too helpful for KDE.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Unmounting Network Shares Before Shutdown/Restart

installing wicd should resolve that issue. after you install it be sure to set your network backend also to wicd you can do that in
    System Settings->Advanced -> Hardware -> Network Management Backend
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion!

So, what about wicd is different, that it would prevent the current behavior?

As KNetworkManager works perfectly for me otherwise, I have been extremely hesitant to switch to a non-default network manager package.

But, if it will resolve this issue, I will certainly consider it.

Comment

wicd starts much eariler then knetworkmanager, and stops later.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
          Cart/horse question: I tried to install wicd through KPackageKit, which is insistent that I remove the KNetworkManager plasma widget (I assume it means the panel widget, since that's all I'm using) before installing wicd.

But if I remove the KNetworkManager plasma widget, how do I manage my network connection in order to download wicd?

*confused*

Comment

Originally posted by chipbennett
            Originally posted by sithlord48
            Cart/horse question: I tried to install wicd through KPackageKit, which is insistent that I remove the KNetworkManager plasma widget (I assume it means the panel widget, since that's all I'm using) before installing wicd.

But if I remove the KNetworkManager plasma widget, how do I manage my network connection in order to download wicd?

*confused*
            Nevermind. The command line was my friend.
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install wicd
            did the trick.

I'll be back to my home network Saturday, so I'll report then on how using wicd impacts the network-share unmounting-on-shutdown issue.

Thanks!

Comment

Did this work?

i have had a similar issue and tried messing around with the order of /etc/rc0.d and /etc/rc6.d links. however it still doesnt work and produces a different error. I would prefer to stick with knetwork manager as i can alter the MTU settings easily(the default setting of 1500 doesn't work with my internet connection) is this alterable in wicd?

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by chrishoyle
                Did this work?

i have had a similar issue and tried messing around with the order of /etc/rc0.d and /etc/rc6.d links. however it still doesnt work and produces a different error. I would prefer to stick with knetwork manager as i can alter the MTU settings easily(the default setting of 1500 doesn't work with my internet connection) is this alterable in wicd?

Chris
                Sorry for not following up sooner. After making this change, I dealt with 2 weeks of our DSL being out, followed by another week waiting for cable broadband installation (to resolve the DSL issue), then my web host took my site down (apparently, they can't handle a basic WordPress installation), so I spent a week moving my site to a new host...

So, finally, I'm back here to report!

And, the verdict, it appears, is that WICD is, in fact, a good solution for my problem!

Once I installed WICD, the shutdown errors went away entirely.

Comment

Re: [resolved] Unmounting Network Shares Before Shutdown/Restart

hmmm it worked for me eventually with a few tweaks.

installed wicd,
                  wrote a bash script to:

a) wake my server (hibernates when not used)
                  b) set my mtu value on the eth0 and wlan0 connections
                  c) wait for 10s before mounting my cifs shares. (the cifs shares wouldn't mount automatically from the fstab file?!)

i put the script in the post connection scripts section of wcid.

wrote another bash script to unmount the network shares and placed this in the pre disconnection scripts section of wcid.

if i didn't so this, the computer still hung at shutdown all be it with a different error (something to do with usplash exiting with signal 1 ?)

anyway, i hope this helps anyone else trying this solution with further difficulties?

Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X