Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless network connection switches to wired after long idle. . . (Abandoned)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless network connection switches to wired after long idle. . . (Abandoned)

OK, it appears that I am the one to dredge up unusual issues no one else has. Nobody knows a fix.
    I know now that It happens every time I have numerous applications open and am switching to and fro between them. Somehow OO is deeply involved in it.

Anyway, since it does no harm and my network connection is not interrupted by the switch, I leave it the way it is.

P

I am using a Linksys wireless router to connect my desktop and my laptop to one DSL line. Works fine and reliably (with wicd, of course). Kernel updates do not affect the setup.

However, recently the wireless network has developed a mind of its own. Whenever my computer idles for any extended period of time while connected to wireless, it resets itself to the wired connection without actually losing the connection to the ISP. The network is still up and running -except now it is wired (on eth0).
    There is no loss of connectivity or data.
    Weird isn't it?

Has anyone had a similar experience?

PS: It happens only on the desktop (9.10). the laptop with 9.04 is not affected. It stays on wireless.

Re: Wireless network connection switches itself to wired after long idle times

Access your router.

Check Setup | Basic Setup | Internet Connection Type

Ensure Keep Alive: Redial Period is selected instead of Connect on Demand: Max Idle Time
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Wireless network connection switches itself to wired after long idle times

Thanks for the info.

Checked my router setup. It already has "Keep alive. . ." activated.

I believe I saw quite a while ago a misleading setting in some file. It set 'eth0' as primary connection. In fact, whenever I restart the computer, the network automatically starts up on my wired connection.
      Wicd setup has wireless as default!

Unfortunately, I cannot find the file in question any longer. Does anyone know which file could have the confusing info?
      'Interfaces' is correct.

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Access your router.

. . .
      Ensure Keep Alive: Redial Period is selected instead of Connect on Demand: Max Idle Time

Comment

Working...
      X